Just some info on my first 6.4 diag

Rate this topic

Got our first 6.4 in for "runs rough, no pedal, wont accelerate" Performed eec test p242d. Checked oasis, new reprogram is suppost to fix this problem.

Reprogrammed ECM, TCM, started right up, conern is gone.

Reprogram IC, go to start it, no-crank,no-start. eec test on PCM P242D came back in ODDtcs.

Performed pinpoint test, had open egt sensor #13, very straight-forward.

I called hotline just to see why it didnt start after i reprogrammed the IC but did after i programmed just the ECM, TCM.

He said that with the 13 sensor being open, the pcm thinks the exhaust is at 1400plus degrees and that is above threshold for safety. The IC sees the p242d and will not crank the truck over. Some do crank, some dont. They are going to release info about the new repogram. He went on to tell me 4 chafe spots associated with that code. YIKES!!!!

Just a heads up if anyone has or will run into this sceonario.

Heres from the hotline request

"There are known chafe locations at the EVAP case,near the radiator and the right kick panel. Also check connector C110 which is near the master cylinder for pin issues. Check along frame rail, after the vehicle is repaired may have to use a starter button or push to start."

He gave me a detailed description of how to jumpstart the vehicle and the very first thing he said was "make sure the owner is not around when you do this"

• 3 weeks later...

I had one last week with the MIL lamp on and a dtc for a egt sensor. I did the reflash recall and then the truck would not crank over. I replaced the faulty egt sensor and it still wouldn't crank. Hotline told me that it needs to have the problem fixed first and then have the ign in the on position for 1 hour for it to crank. He said that we can trick the pcm by rocking the truck forward or backward to give it a vss signal. My solurtion: Jump the starter solinoid and then let it idle for 1 hour. I'll try that next time.

This was a brand new truck and the customer was in my stall waiting for it to be delivered, and I was explaining how they had a bad sensor, but now it won't crank over. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Had a tow-in today with P242D but this truck would start only to de-rate after 15 seconds with the MIL flashing. EGT 1-3 was open too. I borrowed a sensor from another truck, reprogrammed the ECM and IC - seems okay! Did you have a bunch of other codes like ICP low or EGR concerns? I did but all tests passed so for now I am dismissing them. Will road test more when I get the new sensor. By the way, PID display showed EGT 1-3 = 4.89v & 1830 degrees!

Keith i did not, just the 242D. I wish the SSM would tell you to make sure the 242d was not a hard fault so then you wont have the issue of it not starting cranking of all things after you reprogram it and then not knowing why, then calling hotline after checking everything and them saying.... oh yah...some crank, some dont.. lol

My freeze frame was the same keith, 1-3 was open.

Tony, I was wondering because I could not find any reason for the other codes I had received. I didn't want to assume that they were induced by the ECM de-rating the engine but who knows? Post EGT repair I could not run the KOER self test because the Cooling fan speed sensor kept setting code P0529 for an intermittent signal, PID monitor showed it nicely and I took a screen shot. Anyway, After the new Visctronic clutch went in everything was good to go.

And that sensor was a bitch to get out! I rounded the nut and ended up heating the mounting boss with a torch to loosen the nut then I went home thinking I'd pull it out in the morning when I got the new sensor. Morning comes... damn sensor was stuck in the bore!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif Got the torch back out and it too freed-up. GRRRRRR! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif Simple job... kept breaking my stones!

I know, mine was on a 15K truck and wouldnt budge from the life of me, then i couldnt get the wrench on well enough. Then the old torch came out heated that bugger loose and walla. I had to take one off a new truck on the lot and even that one was a bitch to get out but after some choice words and muscle it broke loose. ( I love working on no-start waiters ). The only good thing that came out of my situation is the owner watched me the whole time in the shop ( he likes to watch /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif )and was telling my boss how god of a job i did, and how he didnt know these things were so complicated.

As we speak a lifted dually 6.4 came in with excessive amounts of black soot in exhaust tip, engine light on (p2002, p244da), and "a lot of white smoke on cold start. Pinpoint test was 2 steps then said to replace DPF. I'm starting to like these 6.4 pp test's, very very straightforward. IMO

In the hotline survey i wrote and told them to come out with a SSM or something telling us the strategy for the the new reprogram. In the SSM it says thatif you have those codes, reporgram it. Then if the codes are still there then perform normal diag. Well wen you get to the reprogram to start to truck if wont crank or start making you think u did something wrong, then you scratch ure heard, go through diag and then call hotline and they tell you.....oh yea thats part of the strategy.

Keith,

This is how my '08 (reference my math thread) was/is running

The P242d was set because the 13 EGT was melted and FF showed 1800 dgrs+ as well as a P0219, this one was turning into a runaway.

Cracked #1 injector (TSB 07 08 09). Drained 22 qrts from the pan and another 3 or so outta the CAC.

It was explained to me by Scott Eely that since my cal was not the most recent the truck would start, run, and derate, and that until the truck was completely fixed not to update, as I would not be able to start it again without a bit of a fuss.

As it turns out Ford bought the truck back (a whopping 242 miles, an early build that escaped factory fix) and put the customer into another.

BTW, the customer had just traded his '05 250 KR and drove the '08 for 4 days and 120 miles.

Couldn't get his old truck back cause it sold the day after he traded it.

Anyways, as I understand it depending on the calibration the truck may or may not start with a 242d

Yea, thats what happened to me when it got towed in. The guy said "it ramped up to 3000rpm, then wouldnt idle. I idled it, running on what seemed was only 5 cylinders, from where it was dropped off (past a customer that just got done test driving a new 6.4....he was looking at me like what the hell) into my bay.

I have a feeling these trucks are going to be doing some weird things.