P0128 & P0196

Rate this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Update, i was talking to hotline today about another 6.4L problem then i asked about the p0128, p0196 fix yet. "there is no fix yet, they are beating their heads against the wall trying to fix this problem"

I have one angry 1700mile SD owner on my hands to deal with because of this problem.

I have been involved with engineering on this one. They sent me a nice little brain box recorder for this truck to capture some data. Truck came in this morning with a complete recording event. I will be getting a hold of engineering today to send them the data and then I am supposed to put back in the truck to capture some more data. Now I've gotta figure out how to send this stuff to Ford. I will be on the phone for a while I imagine.

I have been involved with engineering on this one. They sent me a nice little brain box recorder for this truck to capture some data. Truck came in this morning with a complete recording event. I will be getting a hold of engineering today to send them the data and then I am supposed to put back in the truck to capture some more data. Now I've gotta figure out how to send this stuff to Ford. I will be on the phone for a while I imagine.

Just curious how you get paid for this stuff?

Its MT - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I was looking at freeze frame data and the code itself, and thought what if they just lengthened the threshold so it doesnt set so quickly. Everytime you see the 196 it was set in 10minutes, so why not lengthen it.

I've had a 6.4 sitting outside in the cold and it took an ungodly amount of time to warm up, engineer told me thats normal that they take so long, maybe thats just the trucks im seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Its MT - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I was looking at freeze frame data and the code itself, and thought what if they just lengthened the threshold so it doesnt set so quickly. Everytime you see the 196 it was set in 10minutes, so why not lengthen it.

I've had a 6.4 sitting outside in the cold and it took an ungodly amount of time to warm up, engineer told me thats normal that they take so long, maybe thats just the trucks I'm seeing.

Pretty much any diesel will not warm up fully if it only sits and idles which makes me think that it may not be just the warm up time that needs to be adjusted, perhaps the temperature threshold should be dropped as well. Seems silly to me that you would be checking thermostat operation at that time too. Why not have the ECM look for a fully warmed up engine after a few minutes of driving over a certain speed? The ONE truck I saw that actually had a bad t-stat COULD not warm up above 150 deg F and the EOT was much higher by about 25 deg F.

I would bet the 10 minutes is the Federal emissions threshold allowed to come up to a "clean" operating temperature. Ford can no more extend the time counter than they can delete the DPF. Ford is probably trying to find software changes within the letter of the emission laws that customers will not feel as detrimental to their driving habits. I wonder if we will see an "updated" set of thermostats with different opening temps/rates than is now used?

You may right about the emissions regulation... but aren't there also laws about idling diesel engines? In NJ the law is three minutes. A truck is not going to warm up in that time, nor will it set that code. Chew on that. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif I know, the light shouldn't come on so easily, I know.

Well I just got off the phone with the Engineer from Ford that I have been working with. Turns out that the problem occurs mostly on trucks that live in cold ambient temperatures with the block heaters plugged in and usually not equipped with winter fronts and sitting and idling. I sent the flight recorder back to him last weak.

It has been minus 30 degrees celcius (minus 22 farenheight) here for almost two weaks. The PCM takes a snapshot of EOT when the key is first turned on. Exactly ten minutes into run time, the PCM takes another reading of EOT to determine if the engine is warming up efficiently.

My truck had a reading of 55 degrees celcius (131 farenheight) when the key was first turned on.

A 1000 watt block heater does a pretty good job of heating up the right hand side of the engine block. The coolant rises quite well as it heats up and does a good job of heating up the engine oil cooler where the EOT sensor is located. Guess what happens to 29 litres of coolant and the engine oil when the water pump starts circulating and suckin minus 30 degree air across that huge radiator with that big ole' fan just a roaring?/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gifThe coolant actually cools down and the engine oil cooler itself actually cools down. And if you have a thermostat issue like Keith had, then there is no way that engine is going to warm up. Ten minutes later the PCM sees that the EOT is colder and BINGO: Houston we have a problem and check engine light. Now they know what is causing the issue and they just have to figure out what to do to fix it. I smell a reflash with possibly some elevated rpm's for cold idles.

We could just quit plugging the trucks in. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

• 2 months later...

0991 - 2008 F-SUPER DUTY - 6.4L - VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN 1/3/2008 AND 5/5/2008 - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) P0128, P0196, P1335, P0404 AND P0406

SEE TSB 08-10-02 FOR DETAIL

It's a PCM recalibration...

• 2 months later...

Well, I have to resurect this thread unfortunately and let you guys know the problem isn't totally resolved yet.

I have one in the shop now that has already had the thermostats replaced twice by other dealers, and had the reflash per the TSB last week by me. It came back again yesterday with a P0128 so I called hotline. The truck I'm working on is a Job 1. The TSB reflash only covers Job3 trucks. They are still working on a reflash for the earlier build (Job 1 and 2). So if you get an earlier build 6.4 with a P0128 or P0196 there is not much you can do at this point, so don't waste your time until Ford releases a fix.