Heavy White Smoke

Rate this topic

I have had several customers complain about this very issue in the last week or so, two today. I have spoken to our HotLine and the word at the moment is that this smoking is common now that the weather has turned cold. It happens with regeneration and high humidity aggravates it. It was explained to me as the two catalysts and the DPF trapping moisture in the substrate which does not burn off until the exhaust temps are elevated, usually above normal driving temps. When a good load or regeneration begins to raise the exhaust temps this moisture and probably some hydrocarbons vaporize and the result is a nice white/grayish cloud for 20-30 seconds which then clears.

Now I still don't know what to make of this really. You also need to make sure there are no coolant leaks or excessive oil level. "Well, what is excessive?" These trucks are not to be used for light work; grocery getters. Heard that before? Well think about short trips and the fuel injection system being used... what about shutting down during regen? These trucks apparently will make oil if not worked hard or driven properly. So how much is possible? Two quarts? Three quarts? I have one with FIVE extra quarts that I think I need to remove the valve covers and look around for leaks... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

MY 08 DOES THE SAME THING KEITH.ACTUALLY SMOKES A HELL OF ALLOT,THEN CLEARS LKE YOU SAID ABOUT 30 SECONDS INTO REGEN.BEEN NORMAL OCCURENCE SINCE NEW, 12,000 MILES NOW. SURPRISED NOBODY COMPLAINED ABOUT THE CRAPPY MILEAGE YOU GET AFTER A REN.

Ya gotta love these things, with the 6.0l we were told customers could get this kinda smoke if they removed the cat. Now with the 6.4l they get this smoke if they leave the cat on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Keith,

How did the MAF, MAP, and EBP tube look on this truck? All my trucks smoke a bit at the start of level 2 regen, just curious if you found anything wrong.

Keith,

How did the MAF, MAP, and EBP tube look on this truck? All my trucks smoke a bit at the start of level 2 regen, just curious if you found anything wrong.

I haven't gone any further on diagnostics because the truck was sent out to have the wheels replaced and balanced. Our sprint car driver feels a vibration in the rear... but I will check those items.

Originally Posted By: Tony302600
Keith, the one that I had where the customer was complaining of abnormal heavy white smoke on cold start was a cracked DPF.

Well, this smoke is not occurring at start up. I am not even sure he knows if it coincides with regen or weather conditions. Since you mentioned it, his tailpipe does have some soot on it, not heavy but the tips are a little black. The other two trucks I have in the shop with the same complaint have no problems, codes and the exhaust tips are perfectly clean.. I am letting them both go after I perform the injector recall on one and replace the radiator on the other.