Int. Stall p0087, p2291

Rate this topic

I have an F-550 that customer states "stalled while on highway, hard start until cooled down then truck barely started." with P0087, P2291 in mememory not KOEO, KOER. I did pinpoint test M for the P0087, to no avail. High pressure fuel test passes cold and hot. No sensors are biased. Contacted hotline they told me to look at the common chafe points that they keep stressing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif, checked them ok. The whole time that i was checking them i thought, if it was a wiring problem it would flag codes for that CKT.

Freeze frame for the P0087 showed them driving 55mph 30min of driving and FRP at 2100psi. Then the 2291 being set when they cranked it. I drove the truck for 2 hours yesterday recreating the freeze frame with the IDS monitoring all my pids and nothing.

FRP never goes +/- 50 of the desired.

Maybe I have a high pressure pump harness or pump problem? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Anyone have this problem yet? Customer does not want the F550 til we find something.

I had one do that, Freeze frame data showed IAT at negative 13 degrees on mine so I assumed it was a fuel geling issue. Problem did not occour for me and I advised customer to use more anti gel agent.

I'm sure you may have already checked, but just in case..

..we've had a series of trucks with similar driveability symptoms lately (6.4's) that have needed fuel filter replacement, a lot of it has to do with the retarded ambient temperatures of -5 to -10 we've had over the last week.

I've pulled a bunch of filters out of the HFCM on these things, tore open the "film" that covers the filter element, and then inspected the element and every time they've been gell'd up pretty heavily.

You'd think it'd create consistent problems, but so far it hasn't. We'll get them where the come in running perfectly, good power, all that jazz, but then they just shit out and sometimes have trouble starting up, other times they fire up like nothing happened. All have been accompanied with the P0087.

I'd definitely want to check the filters out, especially the lower one.

Dave

The 6.4 will not run even a split second without (low) fuel pressure like the previous engines will. I pulled the FP fuse when I was hooking up my scope and it died like I killed the key.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

This afternoon I had one with the code at only 1000 miles. The MIL light went out itself on the drive to the dealership, so I only had the memory code. Customer told the S/A he thought it probably gelled cause it was so cold(2 degrees on the IAT). I cleared the code and the customer was going to use the Ford additive and drive it. See if it acts up again before pursueing it further, I guess.

That is what im going to try. We'll see what happens. I'm just curious because this is a company that is huge to our dealership and they are unhappy with all 4 of the 6.4's they have ( other three have the p0196 engine light ) so they dont like to bring trucks back for the same concern. They want their 6.0's back /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

• 2 months later...

Well, i put fuel filter's in it from thinking they might have gelled up a smidge. Replaced the filter's, drove the crap outta it, guy hasn't been back since. (it is getting warmer). Other diesel tech had the same thing, put fuel filter's in it, other truck hasn't been back since either.