OIL LEVEL CLIMB

Rate this topic

I have been told by two Hot Line engineers that these engines are making oil during normal operation. It is not unusual to see an extra 2 or 3 quarts of oil during a normal oil change interval. I am currently working with my FSE on an unrelated issue and he stated that they make oil too but wasn't sure about how much was "normal." We believe it can be attributed to the regeneration process. I have gotten into the habit of checking oil levels on 6.4's before servicing. Most of them are above the indicator but not all.

WIERD. I HAD ONE THAT ACTUALLY WAS HIGH ENOUGH TO ALLOW THE CRANKSHAFT TO SLOSH IN THE OIL CAUSING A HERENDOUS VIBRATION. EVERY ONE I SEE HAS BEEN AT LEAST OVER BY 5 QUARTS.

• 2 months later...

I had my first excess oil concern today. About 2 inchs over the max on the dip stick.Was told by the hotline thath this is nornal. Iwent thru the tsb (forget the number). What are you guys telling your customers. Seems like garbage to me.

Two inches over maximum seems a bit much to me to be let go without some investigating. We have learned over the winter that there are things the customer can control that will minimize fuel dilution of the engine oil. No idling, no extended oil change intervals and avoid frequent short trips. Questioning the customer can be very helpful. Diagnostics as per the TSB has led some guys in a wild goose chase but can help identify small high pressure fuel system leaks. Any performance condition that causes the DPF to load up and require frequent regenerations will also affect fuel dilution

I honestly think that the statement from engineer's about "these engine's will produce some fuel," is a cop-out for "we have no idea What teh F*%K is going on." All deja-vu with the 6.0L goin in these things back in the day. Customer's complaining they want their 7.3's back. Now we have companie's with fleet's of 6.4's wishing they had their 6.0's back.

well i own one. gotta say im quite used to the 3000 mile oil change now. Engineers had me change hp pump, same crap. overfills. i even stop it from regenning when idling. poor design thats what it boils down to. they need an injector after the turbo outlet just for regenning and stop the strategy of full engine injection. They know what the problem is. They dont want owners driving to michigan and shoosting up the joint.

I had one that was ten litres overfull and went through that whole frigin TSB procedure only to find nothing. It has been over a month now and the customer has been in touch with us. Hasn't done it since. But here was the interesting part: truck had 38,000km's and the hour meter read 1170 hours multiplied by 55km's = 64,350 km's. He literally uses his truck as an office. He is a home builder and pulls a trailer with equipment in in it. And he has flat out told us that he will never shut his truck off in the winter. He refuses to get into a cold truck. This was the first thing I had reported to Hotline and they had me go through that whole friggin procedure anyway, only to find nothing. Then they told me to put it back together and punt it right after they had told me they produce oil as well, But they seem to produce more oil if they are in regen frequently. According to hotline, they are prone to washing down the cylinders during the regen process which allows for alot of the fuel to make it past the piston rings into the ccrankcase. Great system!

I don't know if any of you fellers have run into this but late build trucks with California emissions have an idle shut down feature. I was performing a PDI and the engine just shut off. I found the answer on OASIS but forget where. Ford should put this on all 6.4L trucks. BTW I think it can be disabled.

Interesting, I'd like to see a Mexican export 6.4 too. Tell you what for all you F650 guys, i'd like to tie-wrap every friggen harness as tight as a crabs ass and give them a taste of harness "heaven".

i'd like to tie-wrap every friggen harness as tight as a crabs ass and give them a taste of harness "heaven".

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

I like the way you think /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Tell you what for all you F650 guys, I'd like to tie-wrap every friggen harness as tight as a crabs ass and give them a taste of harness "heaven".

You ain't kiddin. I just replaced five C-7 engine harnesses and there has to be 20 zip ties strapping that sucker on there. But before you tighten the ties make sure the harness is wrapped in CLOTH to counteract the excessive zip tie usage.

CLOTH TAPE? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

had truck last week had 888mi. on it was approx. 3gals.over full

h.p. pump leak had to short stick about 6in. to put in normal range.

got another one from same company this week same problem same build date. they have 2 more with same symptom

Just to be stupid, mainly because Im good at it, are these treasures still Heui or have they gone to a common rail pump? ie 5000psi vs 30K psi?

early build c7's had common rail pumps causing fuel dilution.

I agree that if the strategy is using engines injectors to regen combined with owner who is operating at high % no load time, fuel dilution is possible. Do they use a dedicated ignition source or relying on fire blowing out of cylinders THROUGH TURBO?? to dpf?

*Update*

I answered my own questions and got a 87 on the 6.4 test first time. Sounds like International is still using Cat fuel system, the same but different. But the first stage turbo is getting all the fire during a regen?

• 3 weeks later...

any time you inject fuel on an exhaust stroke for regen some of it will make it past the rings and into the oil, decreasing the lifespan of the oil (more frequent oil changes) and increasing fuel consumption!!! and this is going to help reduce the amount of oil we consume how? and realy how can this reduce emissions???

Emissions and fuel consumption are two very different things. Though it flies in the face of logic, some of the fuel consumed in the engine doesn't go towards making power - it is consumed to reduce tailpipe emissions of certain "bad" things... soot, oxides of nitrogen, that sort of stuff.

Originally Posted By: Torqed-Up
The intention is to save the planet not oil It is kinda ironic that we are burning more fuel in these engines to produce less emissions

Hence, the modern day konundrum ( however you spell it )

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Usually Jim whacks us with the unusual verbage hence the link to dictionary.com in the resources menu

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif co-nun-drum -noun

1. a riddle, the answer to which involves a pun or play on words, as What is black and white and read all over? A newspaper.

2. anything that puzzles

Isn't that the American automaker rule of thumb? Do as little engineering as possible,charge as much as possible,advertise a hell of allot and f-you after you paid for it. Math doesn't add up- 15 quarts every 200 hours or 5k????? i think this dam regen shit is for the birds. Let it be an hour procedure at oil change and make it a "manual" regen.