Fuel/Turbo Actuator Cooler

Rate this topic

Taking this quote from Bruce in another thread I thought it deserved another answer in its own topic:

Have you guys heard any rumors about not having the cooling system bled properly? I heard of a performance problem from not using a vacuum bleeder, which confused the PCM and it went into a derate. Any comments?

I recall from training that if the fuel temperature is 194 degrees-F the engine will derate. The reason I mention this at all is because now that I have some experience with this engine I can say that filling and purging the cooling system is not a problem. The fuel cooler IS however, a REAL pain in the ass. The service manual has instructions for filling and purging that system. "...remove bumper and let the cooler hang down..." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

I fabricated a fitting that goes into the plug in top of the heat exchanger and put a nipple and hose in that fitting just like the fuel bleeder Ford sent us. I remove the feed line going to the cooler and cap off the fitting. I insert our BG flusher into the hose and power purge the system. It works very well.