how can that happen

Rate this topic

i just got into my first 6.4 diesel in oil case. followed the tsb injectors were fine removed the oil pan drain plug spun the engine over ok bang fuel runs out so ok replaced the hp pump everything is good released the truck comes back 2 days later smoke pooring from under the hood smells like burnt oil so i removed the turbo shields and found oil coming out from between the exhaust down pipe and low side turbo anyone run across this before when i did the pump i never removed the turbos any ideas...i know i am gonna have to replace 1 or both turbos but how did that happen

Can't say I've had the pleasure.... yet.... But I can't help wonder about doing a R&R on the high pressure pump without removing the turbos.... Everything I have seen so far has the turbos come off....

But I can't help wonder about doing a R&R on the high pressure pump without removing the turbos.... Everything I have seen so far has the turbos come off....

Why? If the cab's off the pump comes out with the turbos on.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
But I can't help wonder about doing a R&R on the high pressure pump without removing the turbos.... Everything I have seen so far has the turbos come off....

Why? If the cab's off the pump comes out with the turbos on.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

The one I did, I just loosened the turbo hold-down bolts and the pump did come out, using a bit of care to not move the turbos too far, thus avoiding a future leak. Yes, I know Ford says to remove the turbos, but seemed like such a lot of extra unnecessary work. That was about 6 months ago and truck has not returned.

We removed it in the 6.4L class on a stand with the turbos still on... which was really ass backward now that I think of it. Then again, it was the second class and much of it needed fine tuning and organizing.

Quote:
removed the oil pan drain plug spun the engine over ok bang fuel runs out so ok replaced the hp pump everything is good released the truck comes back 2 days later smoke pooring from under the hood smells like burnt oil so i removed the turbo shields and found oil coming out from between the exhaust down pipe and low side turbo anyone run across this before when i did the pump i never removed the turbos any ideas...i know i am gonna have to replace 1 or both turbos but how did that happen

I thought I'd take a stab at the original question. Perhaps the fuel dilution of the oil damaged the turbo bearings and/or inner seals.

sorry guys i forgot to mention i removed the 2 low pressure fittings on the pump to get the cover off they wernt tight anyways and after a long conversation with hotline engineers the fuel being in the oil is damaging the turbos then i took it apart today and the low pressure turbo is deffinatly leaking oil they recomend to replace both turbos now the fun part cant find stock for the high pressure turbo lol

I didn't realize that it could be gotten out like that... learn something new every day....

During our 6.4 class, we took the motor down in layers.... and, with four techs per group, you don't have to turn away for very long to miss stuff....

Until recently, the 6.4 has been very good to us...

I had the displeasure of doing one of these this past summer, once you got all the exhaust pipes out of the way it wasn't too bad, mind you I don't think I'd want to do one with the cab on, too much you can't readily see that can go terribly wrong.