REPEATEDLY MELTED EBP SENSOR

Rate this topic

ANYBODY RUN INTO THIS YET? 08 6.4 KEEPS MELTING THE EBP SENSOR DURING A REGEN.MELTS THE CONNECTOR AND DESTROYED THE BITCH ON THE SECOND SENSOR I REPLACED PENETRATING TO THE PINS,JUST LIKE BEING TOO CLOSE TO A HEAT SOURCE. WELL ENDED UP BEING A FAILED DOC IN THE PIPE BEHIND THE TURBO. SOB SOMEHOW WAS LETTING THE OUTLET TEMP FROM THAT DOC GET SOO HOT IT LITERALLY SENT BIG TIME HEAT UP THE EBP SENSING TUBE AND MELTED THE EBP SENSOR.NO WAY TO REALLY DIAG IT BECAUSE THE HEATED EXAUST ENTERS THE HORIZONTAL EGR COOLER RIGHT AFTER THE EBP SENSOR AND DROPS THE TEMP. JUST A HEADS UP. BEEN ON THE ROAD FOR A MONTH ALREADY. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

PS ALITTLE LATE BUT THANKS FOR MY BOZO BUTTON LARRY!,HAHAHA

• 4 weeks later...

We have two of these EBP sensor meltin beasts in the shop today with the same issue. One of them however is blowing coolant out of the degas bottle. I imagine the horizontal cooler is cooked due to it's proximity to the left exhaust manifold... yea...

YUP MY ISSUE WAS SOLVED BY REPLACING THE DOC PIPE BEHIND THE TURBO. ACCORDING TO HOTLINE HAD ISSUES WITH DOC FAILING AND HEATING THE EXAUST INTO THAT HORIZONTAL EGR COOLER AND BURNING THE EBP SENSOR. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif. BEEN ON THE ROAD FOR ABOUT MONTH OR SO WITHOUT ISSUES.

Okay... I'm just trying to figure out how a plugged EDOC will cause this... since the exhaust flows from the RHS turbo inlet pipe, into the EDOC then down to the EBP sensor and horizontal EGR cooler. Wouldn't a restricted EDOC prevent exhaust gasses from getting down to the EBP, rather than cause it to overheat?

To me, it would seem a stuck EGR valve is a more plausible cause of this condition... but I could be overthinking it...

GOT ME BY THE SHORT HAIRS! ONE THING I DID NOTICE WAS A HIGH EXAUST BACK PRESSURE READING AFTER I FIRST REPLACED THE SENSOR AND BEFORE THE DOC REPLACEMENT. POSSIBLE NOT ENOUGH FLOW + A CONCENTRATED HEAT SOURCE= HIGHER THAN NORMAL TEMPS AND UNFORTUNATE SMELTING ACCIDENT FOR THE EBP. PCM IN MY EYES NOT PICKING UP ON IT BECAUSE THE TEMP SENSORS AFTER THE EGR COOLER AND WHEN ITS WORKING DROPS THE TEMP.TELL YOU WHAT IT WORKED.MAYBE MR BRUCE KNOWS WHY OR AN INTERNATIONAL FACTORY REP THAT KNOWS.

• 3 weeks later...

well got another smelting accident here. Just an FYI the DOC is on national back order- D67. Wonder if there's a problem,ha

Make that 3... all from the same fleet too... and you may imagine, they are quite pissed! They are all bucket trucks that service traffic lights and such, and are to the point that they are worried about losing contracts... management made some calls this week, and apparently there are about 60 dealers in North America waiting on them, and there are NONE built... and they don't know when... so they say...

• 2 weeks later...

Well aparently recomendation by hotline to replace the DOC on this truck was incorrect. Truck back with melted EBP,shorted VREF from the smelting accident. Got callback for EBP and tube,verified fleet using Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel. EGT's even and normal temps,all the same. Any of you guys running into these wonderful issues.

The EDOC I was waiting for came in yesterday. I am replacing it as requested by hotline. Upon inspection of the original EDOC (which I did not remove prior to ordering), I don't see a damn thing wrong with it. A few more nuts and bolts to tighten up this morning, then I'll let y'all know! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

yup i didnt see anything wrong with this one here either. Dam pain in the ass to get out and see it looks ok. gotta tell you, its not going to fix it! Alex did your customer complain of the truck regenning allot? This truck from what their saying regens allot,under hood temps are very hot. This truck is an ambulance with 15,000 miles and a crazy 3900 hours. Sister truck has over 4,000 hours and no issues. Hotline wants the EBP, EBP tube and shapshot uploads. When i roadtest the truck runs great, and no regen for me.

yup i didnt see anything wrong with this one here either. Dam pain in the ass to get out and see it looks ok. gotta tell you, its not going to fix it! Alex did your customer complain of the truck regenning allot? This truck from what their saying regens allot,under hood temps are very hot. This truck is an ambulance with 15,000 miles and a crazy 3900 hours. Sister truck has over 4,000 hours and no issues. Hotline wants the EBP, EBP tube and shapshot uploads. When i roadtest the truck runs great, and no regen for me.

Anthony, not to get too simplistic... you may need to try reproducing some not too common conditions... like idling in the corner of a Wendys parking lot for 4 hours and then rooting on it real hard.

My first inclination would be to set up the VDR... and let the ambulance crew reproduce the concerns for you...

No complaints of excessive regenerations. Complaints were lack of power and blowing coolant out of the degas bottle. The EBP sensor being melted was the cause of the lack of power. I had to remove and test both EGR coolers, and found no problems with either. They told me to replace the EDOC and recheck it. Okay so far, but it's only been a day.

BTW, this is an F-550 boom-truck, so I'm sure it does it's fair share of idling...

ahahah your right Jim! friggen amazing how they can accumulate the hours. Hotline downed the truck today stating do not release until further notice from the regen engineers! maybe its the rubber cab floor melting that did it for them. I was driving the unit today and it went into regen within the 25 minute roadtest. I was able to capture a regen snapshot and uploaded to hotline.Tell you what ithe heat coming from under the hood is massive, more than comparable units I think this truck has a few issues, one being the massive idle time which is the customers problem but i think Ford didn't account for the heavy idling applications in their regeneration system. I think this truck needs a new particulate filter and a new strategy. Maybe a replacement mileage or hour spec, who knows. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ford.gif