Lifted my 1st 6.4 Cab

Rate this topic

Lifted my 1st 6.4 cab this week... Not as bad as I was expecting. Few things I noticed,

1. Quick connects are not quick disconnects and suck!!! The bottom one under the radiator is real bad and you get about a gallon of antifreeze right in the chest. It would be much better to just put a real clamp on them. (Kinda glad the oil change kid was helping me with that one!!! I found it alot more amusing than he did)

2. Quick connects on the trans lines suck too, much better to take off at cooler and push the lines down.

3. Why do they have you take off the fuel cooler lines and bracket?? it is no where close to being in the way of lifting the cab... (the online manual has you take off 4 or 5 things that don't need to be taken off, and forgot to mention 5 or 6 other things that do need to be removed.)

4. Ford could save some money by not using a FULL bottle of locktight on each of the cab bolts!!!

5. Who every designed the whole cage nut thing needs to get his &%# KICKED!!!

As far as the repair, who every thought of using a 10mm head on the turbo up pipe bolts needs to get in line with the guy who designed the cage nuts and get his &%# KICKED!!!

Other than that, it wasn't so bad.

Blake... I feel for you. I'm in the process of reassembling one of these travesties... It took three weeks to get a cylinder head... and another week to get me back on the damned thing.... Can anyone spell "fastener shock"?

They have us do the fuel cooler as described so we don't have to piss around with bleeding the secondary cooling system... We changed one secondary rad (Bambi played a role in that one) and there was more than one attempt to ensure that the system was properly bled.... Something I think they could make a lot easier if the secondary water pump PID was an active command.

This one is also getting a rad....

WSM keeps talking about using only banjo bolts with a green paint mark on the head as these are without check valves... I had three without green paint marks but close inspection revealed no check valves.... But it leaves you with the feeling that you may have "missed" something.

WSM is also full of "remove and discards"... for many O-rings, the only way to get the is with some spendy looking assemblies.... I had a page and a half of "required" small parts and came up way short according to the manual...

Good luck....

It's already done and back down the road, going back wasn't too bad. It does give you a good upper body workout torquing the body bolts.

Ford better start rethinking the warr rates of some of the dsl if they want them fixed, yesterday I put a egr and oil cooler in a 6.0 and it's only showing 5.4 hrs or something like that. The guy next to me had cars on 2 racks doing brake jobs and misc flushes and a flat stall programming keys and check eng lights and turned about 14 hours in the same amount of time. The rate of 5.4 hrs is close to what it takes, but a guy can make alot more doing other stuff and your back won't hurt at the end of the day.

I did not remove the fuel cooler either. It clears with at least an inch but I believe Jim is right about the bleeding which is not a problem it you have a coolant exchange machine or the Rad-kit system. My first 2008 cab off exhibited why bleeding the fuel cooler is important... it makes noise if there is air trapped in the system and more importantly, it will not self purge because the cooler inlet and outlet are located on the bottom of the core. I used our coolant flusher to force the coolant through the cooler and chase the air out.

The cab bolts are something that have been discussed here and at length in the Ford Message Boards. The common trick that had been discovered is to heat the bolts and wait a few minutes for the thread-lock to soften before hand wrenching them out. It has worked for me very well and other techs are having good success with this technique. P A T I E N C E is the key!

I recall removing earlier model cabs being a "job" in the beginning but they got easier too and they were not designed to come off for service reasons. I think that the efforts made by by Ford to make cab removal easier were well though out but I do agree a few things require improvement. Those radiator connections are much better than a clamp but they leave the possibility of the clips to pop out uncontrolled or get lost during the whole repair. I know. I lost one and you cant get just the clip. You have to buy the whole hose because they are not available separately. Stupid!

When I did my first one it wasn't that bad (crapload of m-time for it being a tow truck). I did however make a list of EVERYTHING you need to order, for each thing you do. I have a list for just removing the cab, then one for removing the exhaust. Part list include's washer's, nut's, bolt's, quantities, and their part #'s> I call it #1, #2, #3 and the part's guy's know what i want by looking at the sheet i made for them. Being the first one to do it was a disaster, took a full day for my part's guy's to find everything, then the week of, no that's no the right one.

WSM is also full of "remove and discards"...

Ahhh, yes... it does say "discard"... but what does "discard" actually mean?? To me, it means "throw away"... but to the parts guy that came up to me today asking for all the bolts and gaskets the manual says to "discard", it means something else... They got the phucking leaking inlet pipe back, but I guess that wasn't good enough, they want the bolts and gaskets too... PHUCK YOU WARRANTY NAZIs... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/fouet3.gif ahhh, that feels better...

Tony.. posting your lists on DTS would be a wonderful resource... With the truck being apart so long and having to play "fastener roulette" on re-assembly, I see there are more and more discard fasteners that I missed in my initial work up...

Now... the big concern.... Do "they" have a recommended list. Could they deny the claim based on re-used fasteners? Or, if there is a subsequent (though not a fastener failure), could the call a chargeback?

<Smiling sweetly> .... I'll buy you a beer.... Or a wee taste of Mr. Seagrams fine offering....

Jim, if you go to the WSM section for turbo-inlet pipe removal, there is a nice little picture with all the fastners, gaskets and part numbers right there. That's how I've always ordered fastners, and I've always got the right ones and the right quantity.

Alex... after idly flipping through several of the associated sections, the list of "discards" will astound almost anyone... from the pinch bolt on the steering column to God knows what else... It just blows me away that you can't get most of the O-rings separately but I imagine that will change over time....

For now, it's time to go back to work and see if I can't finish that abortion today.... To make matters worse... this WAS my Saturday but one of the other techs owed me a Saturday. I was going to take the day off and putter around the house (it's trying to snow right now). So now I have an oxymoron wrapped in a conumdrum... It's my Saturday to work but I have it off because someone owed me a Saturday so, with my new found day off, I'm going in to work....

My head hurts.....