For Larry and Bruce

Rate this topic

I assisted a buddy with rebuilding his injector's on his 97 7.3L. There is a guy (dont know the site) who sell's a aftermarket kit that include's a o-ring kit, plunger and new spring's, claiming to give you 100rwhp and 250rwtq. I didn't do any of the rebuilding but i watched, ( i was just there to take the injector's out and put them back in ). Have you guy's heard or delt with this. It's all Aliant packaging.

I don't know what he did, but after 50miles he said he's got gray smoke billowing out of his exhaust and knocking under a load. I'm thinking something is wrong with one of his injector's.

If there is no contribution code's then i just use the cancel box to cancel cylinder's individually until the knocking stop's right? yikes, i told him not to do this!!!!

I'm thinking something is wrong with one of his injector's.

If there is no contribution code's then i just use the cancel box to cancel cylinder's individually until the knocking stop's right? yikes, i told him not to do this!!!!

Ugh, there's plenty of red flags here. First, I hate performance modifications. Second, to disassemble and replace injector parts in a garage situation gives me the heebee geebies. Third, you've hung parts without testing them, checking flow rates, and setting the armature height. If these overfuel, it takes out a piston, might trash the wall, and it's motor time. Not a good risk, if you know what I mean. Be glad you were only the R&R guy.....

Yes, it sounds like it's overfueling. On a '97 you don't have PERDELS like a later one so you're limited on diagnostic capabilities. Start with the basics like KOEO, KOER, and Cyl Cont tests and see if it pops up. Run the CC test three times, in Drive if it's an AT, as this will show up weak cylinders better. If not, try the cylinder killer box, record MFDES, and see if it shows up. If it's a broken nozzle spring it may not show up easy. Hopefully it won't require more antiquated methods such as a infrared gun, Windex bottle, pulling the manifolds to look for smoky cylinders, or pulling the injectors all back out and checking the tips with a MityVac.

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Quote:
Ugh, there's plenty of red flags here. First, I hate performance modifications. Second, to disassemble and replace injector parts in a garage situation gives me the heebee geebies. Third, you've hung parts without testing them, checking flow rates, and setting the armature height. If these overfuel, it takes out a piston, might trash the wall, and it's motor time. Not a good risk, if you know what I mean. Be glad you were only the R&R guy.....

+1, I agree about the red flags. My suggestion would be to pull them back out and have a reputable fuel shop check them. If you don't have one locally, send them to me and we can check them out.