Poppin' Out The Intake

Rate this topic

Got me a unit poppin out the intake on a 6.4L. looks like bank 1 with misfire codes for cyl #1 and #3 showing low on power balance. Cab coming off today...

One of the #1 exhaust valves is seized in the head and the top of the valve stem is snapped off with the keeper.

Despite being broken at the keeper groove, the valve was not as tight in the head as I would have expected. I recall one or two 7.3L's I really had to pound on the valves to get them out! Anyhoo, rocker was also broken, the push rod was straight. I would have bet the valve and piston had kissed but there are no marks in the piston at all. Considering the broken parts I am guessing that they actually did.

Forging ahead...

Decided to repair this one like I had in the past. I have some valve body hones that work perfectly for cleaning out valve guides. A few passes with a drill and we are ready to insert a new valve when it comes along with a list of other stuff.

In case you are wondering, yes, I will remove the other valves in this head and inspect them. I am really surprised every time I disassemble a cylinder head just how little lubrication the valves get. They almost seem dry!

• 2 weeks later...

Good job, Keith. *Pat on the back*

Here's a cookie.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

No one patted me on my back when I had my 6.4 with 2 bent pushrods and 2 seized valves. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

No one patted me on my back when I had my 6.4 with 2 bent pushrods and 2 seized valves. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

How did we! Have a five head banger salute!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

By the way did you repair your head and what did you use for the valve guides... or was a new head needed?

Originally Posted By: Tony302600

How did we! Have a five head banger salute!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

By the way did you repair your head and what did you use for the valve guides... or was a new head needed?

I did mine when they 6.4's were still virgin and no one knew what was going on. Hotline said DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX, they wanted the head back so they have me a new one.