Turning Engine Over By Hand

Rate this topic

This is for the guys who have done any base engine repairs: I noticed something odd with this engine when I was barring it over by hand to position it and tighten the valve rockers. I could turn the engine about 45 degrees and it seemed like it locked up. So much so that I went to the other head and pulled the glow plugs to be sure fuel didn't leak into the cylinders while I had it apart. (I only had one head off to repair a valve) That turned out to have no affect and the crank didn't move enough to support the idea that something was in a cylinder. So I messed with tis a little more and realized that if I moved the crank faster and continued to push through the resistance the engine continued to spin freely.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

So after thinking about this a bit, I wondered if this could be related to the HPFP somehow. Did any of you experience this during assembly? I don't suspect any engine damage and the valve concern was caused by rust in the guide. Just seems odd to me.

I was thinking along those lines. I only had one head off so 1/2 of the valves were still opening... maybe I am imagining things but it seemed to loosen a bit after tightening down the right side rockers. I put all the glow plugs back in and buttoned it up, before I lower the cab I'll check it again but of course it will be compressing air in the compression stroke now that the engine is fully assembled.