My first '08 driveability issue

Rate this topic

P2291/P242D/P242E in memory. Truck is also in for a coolant leak. Replace rad and install venturi tee as per SSM, easy enough. Monitor PIDs, and EGT 13 readings do seem to go wonky, so I got one on order. P2291 is what bothers me most. The complaint goes that this truck quit on the owner two days ago. He called a two truck and waited for an hour. Before the hour was up, he was able to restart the vehicle, and continue on his merry way. Oil was overfull (I know this seems to be a known concern with these vehicles), but didn't smell like fuel in it. I know I read there are issues with the HPFP cover gasket wiring. But how do you actually diagnose that? I drove this thing HARD, and couldn't get it to quit on me. FRP appears to be in specs. I know I'm green with 6.4s, so don't laugh.

Mike I have run into this three times now and ironically the most recent was today and I had similar codes. When the PCM sees an over temp condition on EGT 1-2 and 1-3 of a little more than 1700 degrees-F it will de-rate the engine and then shut it down not allowing it to crank for one hour as you stated. This is usually the cause of a wiring or sensor short causing erratic voltage or high signals which are perceived as an over temp condition. This "condition" can be caused by a legitimate over temp condition like a fuel or oil leak into the exhaust or as the pinpoint test descriptions state, a heavily sooted DPF in regeneration under high load conditions.

All of mine have been faulty EGT sensors - three of them in fact and one where a tech at another dealer did not secure the EGT 1-2 connector onto the frame and it melted on the CAT.

Now, as for the HPFP wiring short, that condition WILL NOT cause a no crank condition. It will cause some really wild driveability concerns and a crank no start condition. Recall my topic "Defeated by the 6.4L" and if you need to prove it to yourself (like I had to) pull fuse #74 at the power distribution box and turn the key. It will crank but not fire. Fuse #74 is VPWR for quite a few outputs and the EGT sensors are supplied VREF from the PCM.

If you look at the freeze frame data for the EGT sensor codes look at EGT 1 and 2 to get an idea as to the temperatures involved when the code was set. For some reason they don't give you a reading for EGT 3. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif If the temps are relatively low and your diagnostics don't indicate a wiring issue suspect the sensor. EGT 1-3 seems to go a lot and in fact, I ordered one today and guess what? It is on backorder. I upgraded that sucker to emergency status...

Same ol familiar story. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif Eh?

Thanks Keith. You don't know how relieved I am after reading your post. I kind of figured that EGT 13 was definitely faulty, due to the way it would just randomly skyrocket when monitoring the three EGT PIDs. My theory with EGT 13 being the one that fails the most frequently, would be that it's the one that gets the hottest. I guess that also explains why they delay in the part to arrive. In the meantime, I did reflash the modules to the latest calibration level, which if I understand correctly, will now alert the owner that the truck is in regen, when it occurs. I really don't want to do any more than I absolutely have to, with this vehicle. He seems impatient. Thanks again for the info. :cheers-jeers:

UPDATE. Customer came to pick it up this morning, despite being told that it WILL leave him stranded until the sensor is replaced. When he tried to start it, it wouldn't crank! No DTCs other than the P242D and E coming up again. WTF? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif