My first major 6.4 repair

Rate this topic

i just had a 6.4 towed from massachusetts for a no-start condition checked for codes none watched pids found 25psi of hp fuel when it is supposed to be 4000psi min. well anyway i pulled the cab and pulled the hp pump out and dissasembled i found all 3 piston springs broken and one of the pistons fell out i was like WOOOOOO! anyway has anyone else seen this issue thanks and i love this site

I don't have a lot of 6.4 experience and am just trying to learn.

What steps did you take to determine that the pump was faulty?

For instance, I had a truck from another dealer who did not have time to repair it because they said the cab had to come off to replace the pump. It had low fuel pressure.

I didn't pull the cab like they said. I followed the hotline recommendations to do the fog test and to mount the injectors upside down to test for a leak. I found 1 leaking, replaced it and it ran ok.

What tests did you make and what made you go after the pump?

Thanks

basically ran through the no start symtom chart and checked for any fuel leaks as far as visual i had no codes and 25v psi high pressure and the pcm wanted 4000psi ansd with no leaks and no codes just isolated to the pump itself i also had good supply and return pressure on the low side and also pulled the valve cover for the side that had the frp sensor no leaks there also it should have started with a leak on the opposite side but with no leaks and no codes and also the pcv and vcv were at max duty cycle so the hp was isolated from that point