egt sensors

Rate this topic

mlee

are engineers really this retarded? the last 3 egt sensors i have tried to change have all been welded to the dpf of cat. and these are nowhere near high milers. a job that should take 3 minutes ends up taking hours. the one i attempted to remove this morning is now getting a $3000 dpf that is 7 days away because an $80 sensor is welded to it. we are currently in the red on our 126's so every major repair needs some backup and justification. so i called hotline on this, "heat it with a torch until it is almost melting hot, if it won't come out then, you will never get it out. install a new dpf". and ford wonders why they are in financial trouble, and sooo many dealers have high 126's. rant over.

I think many of us have had to deal with this. Heat is the answer as you were told. Unfortunately that is just how it is. Remember to apply anti-seize compound to the sensor threads when installing. It's Friday, go have a cold beer.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

the beer will flow freely tonight, lol. it just still baffles me. i always use antisieze on exhaust threads, or any other thread i feel has the potential to cause a problem, and heat, well this egt sensor finally puddled itself into the dpf. why can't the factory impose the same practices we use every day? can you tell i'm having a bad day?

are engineers really this retarded? the last 3 egt sensors i have tried to change have all been welded to the dpf of cat. and these are nowhere near high milers. a job that should take 3 minutes ends up taking hours. the one i attempted to remove this morning is now getting a $3000 dpf that is 7 days away because an $80 sensor is welded to it. we are currently in the red on our 126's so every major repair needs some backup and justification. so i called hotline on this, "heat it with a torch until it is almost melting hot, if it won't come out then, you will never get it out. install a new dpf". and ford wonders why they are in financial trouble, and sooo many dealers have high 126's. rant over.

Now I don't feel so bad. The exact same thing happened to me awhile ago.

It sucks. the threads break loose. It feels like it is going to come right out. The nut is turning without a problem and then it just stops. The next thing you know your pulling the trans down in order to remove the RH turbo up-pipe. Aggrivated that you spent way too much time trying to sneak the downpipe out without removing the trans. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Tony is really going to miss this. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif

It sucks. the threads break loose. It feels like it is going to come right out. The nut is turning without a problem and then it just stops. The next thing you know your pulling the trans down in order to remove the RH turbo up-pipe. Aggrivated that you spent way too much time trying to sneak the downpipe out without removing the trans. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Haha....You got that right. The past year ive done a 180 and cited with the customer, and thought to myself...what if this was my truck and they told me what i'm about to tell them. Ford's bullcrap is getting old and I will do anything to help the customer out. They are the one's that keep us open, they are the ones that keep Ford alive. More and more customer's thank me for helping them out and going the extra mile. Remember, Happy customer's tell their friend's about their good service experience.

Back to the topic.... I haven't had any trouble getting them out if I use my torch. I usually heat it up a little, then try...then heat more...then try...then heat more...until it finally comes loose.

Haha....You got that right. The past year ive done a 180 and cited with the customer, and thought to myself...what if this was my truck and they told me what i'm about to tell them. Ford's bullcrap is getting old and I will do anything to help the customer out. They are the one's that keep us open, they are the ones that keep Ford alive. More and more customer's thank me for helping them out and going the extra mile. Remember, Happy customer's tell their friend's about their good service experience.

Back to the topic.... I haven't had any trouble getting them out if I use my torch. I usually heat it up a little, then try...then heat more...then try...then heat more...until it finally comes loose.

I did one last weak heated to point of melting could break loose. I cut off senor reheated used big ass ratch and pulled threads. can't wait till out of warranty and have to till customer they need a two thousand dallor part to replace a hundred dallor sensor. just got a love it.

• 1 month later...

I am glad that we are not the only ones with this issue. I have on in now with 6k on it with a bad EGRT_A. So I went to replace it and low and behold its siezed. Heat was no help so this one is getting a pipe. Heat and try and heat and try didnt work, out came the threads. The really good news is that this truck has the dumbest lift kit I have ever seen that makes transmission crossmember removal literally impossible. So off comes the body. Fun stuff!!

I was trying to remove a EGT from a brand new truck in the lot to put in a customer's because we didn't have the sensor. Would you believe that the EGT wouldn't come out of the brand new truck.

Tony I am dead serious. I have removed new EGTs from stock units twice before without a problem. This one was like all the others. I broke it loose. The nut turned about 3/4 turn and then just stopped. So I just tightened it back up and had parst order up a sensor.