Inverted injector test...

Rate this topic

...or at least what little I know about it.

If we get a P0263 or (as most of us will) a P0266 or any other similar contribution codes(I understand that the cylinders most likely affected when crankcase overfull is a concern will be 8, 4 and 2) and go to the PC/ED, we start getting refered to the "hard start/no start" diag chart early in the going. This has the fuel system tests that we will be concerned with in our diag. I am a little concerned about the order they appear in... but I was assured that much thought went into it....

The inverted fuel injector test is step 23 in the hard start/no start diag tree pages. The key is turned on and the engine cranked for 15 seconds... All eight of my brand new fuel injectors leaked from the drain holes...

At this point, the bank 2 head was removed and the #2 piston looked much like Robs in the crankcase overfull thread.. Also, all of the combustion chambers had varying amounts of fuel puddled in them.

Now, if we turn to the diag worksheet and consider steps 18 through 27.... they have us removing and installing stuff with no real rhyme or reason... In 18 we remove the glow plugs and look for mist while cranking the engine... then we install the glow plugs and do a power balance in 21... Then, in 22, we do a high pressure pump test with the valve covers off (more on this in a bit)... and then we remove the injectors and do the inverted test for step 23.... and then, for step 25, we install the fuel injectors (new lines - old lines - WTF?) and perform a HIGH PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM TEST? Ermmmm, didn't we just do that in step 22? OK.. let's skip to 27... and do a high pressure fuel system test while cranking the engine... And finally, we get to step 28... checking the system for debris... Now that I have had the system open several times (where once should have sufficed), there is a pretty fucking good chance that I might find some debris in the system... I shouldn't, but, if I do, when did it get in there? Besides, what is it with Ford where we continually have to jack up the ass end to diagnose a diesel?

High Pressure Fuel

OK.. so we have a fuel system capable of producing tremendous pressure... we have a FAULTY fuel system of producing tremendous pressure. And we are going to take off the valve covers and expose ourselves to the potential risk of high pressure fluid embolism (except for Bruce who wears nitrile gloves while holding maxed out pressure gauges Posted Image and makes fun of the fact that I was born before the wheel).

At this point, none of us has the foggiest notion of how much danger we are really in... Ford recommends paper strips for "feeling for leaks" - do we want to get that close? Depending on what we are doing, pressures in excess of 25000 PSI can be expected. And don't forget we are disturbing the injector feed lines... several times if we do it Fords way.

The "what was I thinking of" factor. Every day, each and everyone of us has the very real chance that we are going to have a brain fart... They can range from a little slip that we don't even catch ourselves to a "HOLY FUCK, AGATHA!! How'd I get my head that far up my ass?". One little slip and we might never play the piano again (or count to ten, for that matter). And that's for someone familiar with the system... how about the Rex's of the world that will plunge blindly into one of these engines thinking he is teck - he are fix ennythink.

Anyway... Rob asked about the inverted test... and you got a full course meal.... Posted Image