two dumb 6.4 questions.....

Rate this topic

First, what's up with the original intercooler being discontinued on an '08 F550?

Our local Ford store parts guy had to go looking for one. Impact damage requires replacement at 14k. Looks like they drove into the back of one of their other trucks carrying pipe. Punched a nice round hole it it. Dumb drillers.

Other, while crawling under this thing to do a service, I found the front crank seal leaking for the second time since purchase. I noticed the a/c belt looking "fuzzy". For giggles, I decided to see if it had any thrust play. Oops. I can see about .060-.080" of play.

Is this a known issue with 6.4s?

Sorry to anyone in Monmouth/Ocean county at a Ford store, (I didn't do it!) they're going to take it back when they retrieve it from where I work.

There's a TSB for the charge air cooler, there's an updated design that supposedly eliminates a smoking concern after a steady state cruise.

TSB is 08-25-1

And the other issue, I've seen a couple of them. It tells you in teh WSM under changing the crank seal procedure to measure the runout of the balancer, not sure about thrust play, off the top of my head, and I can't get onto the Inford site right now.

I took a look at the bulletin. Not sure if this truck had this particular problem, but it's kind of moot at this point with a 1.5" hole in the thing.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, I looked at the Ford SI site as well and it specifies a max of .020 at the rear primary flange. Not sure if checking at the crankshaft front pulley is acceptable or not.

I took a look at the bulletin. Not sure if this truck had this particular problem, but it's kind of moot at this point with a 1.5" hole in the thing.

Don't think necessarily that it's due to the TSB requiring use of this part, the part has been updated to eliminate this concern with all replacement coolers.

Apparently it retains water? Hard to say.

There really is no documentation about it - it just says "replace with designed part".

Side by side on the floor, there is no apparent difference.