Intermitent loss of power, '95 F350 7.3

Rate this topic

Hi there, I have a 1995 F350 7.3 in the shop and its got an issues that I havent run across yet. Customer complaint is intermitent loss of power and rough idle. I finally verified it. Truck will be running smooth and all of a sudden its like you cut 2 cyls out. Check engine light will come on. Truck will run rough for a few seconds and then smooth out. When it smooths out the check engine light will go out. What really has me scratching my head is the first day I had it and it was doing this it absolutly would not set a code. After I messed with it enough it finally set a P1668 Pcm/Idm communication problem. I ran the pin point test, EF circuit seems to be ok. I tried a spare IDM that I have and no luck. I monitored pids and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

I would do a quick visual of the engine compartment. Check the connectors going into the valve covers for oil or burned out pins. Check the wiring harness for fuel or oil wicking up thru the insulation. Check the ipr valve to make sure the solenoid retaining nut is in place and not lying in the valley somewhere. Things like that, just to rule out any common problems.

You may have already done this, if so disregard.