speed limiter

Rate this topic

I had a question put to me today from a large oil company, they asked if the 2008 6.4L could get a speed limiter installed to hold the speed at 120 max, I couldn't believe anyone would ask this. I was told there insurance company wanted this as the limit was to high. All i could think of at the time was a 2x4 under the gas pedal-has anyone here done anything to limit the speed???

Well I know the Tow Boss F450 trucks are limited to around 80 MPH and the rest of the trucks used to be limited to around 96 - that figure is what I recall from the 6.0L trucks. I would imagine that the newer trucks are the same. I take it that you are speaking Kilometers? This function is programmed into the PCM. A special calibration would be needed to accomplish this request. I would recommend contacting Ford Motor Company directly with this question.

Anything can be defeated, if you know a good IT guy. The question is what adverse effects will happen if defeated.

We had a local sheriffs department buy 10 mid 90's thunderbirds, only to find out they shut down at around 95 mph. They wanted to get a 100+ out of them only to find out that the tailshaft bushing in the trans would spin right out at that speed and drop the driveshaft. Ouch.

Not without some clever workaround crap.

All they need is a tattletale system or a GPS monitoring system. Fire anyone that goes faster than 120. After 4 or 5 guys get fired...I bet everyone will go the speed limit.

It's surprising how many 6.4L's I get where the customer complaint is "Check engine light is on but vehicle seems to drive normal". Run self test and out pops overspeed code. Check freeze frame and vehicle is going 98 mph. I inform service advisor to tell customer slow down and thank you for the check out fee.

I've never had a truck with a standalone p0297, (always other codes too..) I didn't know it would fling the light.

The last 6.4L that darkened my doorstep set a P0297 by itself in memory by itself, but no MIL.

Originally Posted By: Cetane
Won't IDS let you edit the VID block to lower the speed limit?

Care to explain how this can be done?

I don't use IDS much and never to edit vid blocks so I can't say.

HOTLINE CONTACT-unfortunatly there are no provisions to change any perameters reguarding speed. But aparantly there was a company from chicago supplying calibration programs for 6.0L to this company. the programing isn't available to 6.4L as yet. Posted Image

Glow plug concerns can affect emissions...= light....

Going too fast wont affect emissions (normally) = no light....

It is rare to pull a P0297 by itself.... if it will go that fast, the owner has few concerns with the truck... It is common to see this as a nuisance code.... along with wind noise concerns, fuel consumption concerns and lack of power concerns....

I actually ran into another one today. Check engine light on and the only code is P0297. Customer didn't complain of any other concerns. Test drove and retested and system passed.

Maybe it's just in my region that people are just driving excessively fast all the time.

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
along with wind noise concerns,

Oh and don't forget the squeaks and rattles

I think it was last summer... customer concern was that it was uncomfortable to drive at 140 km/h with the sunroof open... IIRC, somebody actually thought we were going to chase that one...