dt444e oil leak (long post)

Rate this topic

nunan

alright here's my next problem.

international bus with dt444e, its an 02. driver was going down the road, all of a sudden it starts pouring smoke out of the engine bay and smelling of oil. my initial repair was a new turbo pedistal (the solenoid was soaking wet, and was the highest point wet) put it all back together, still leaking oil. did some more checking, found out the HPOP was pissing oil out of the box plug on the driver's side of the pump. was told by IH that i could not reseal it, so i got a new pump and reinstalled it. now, when we take it for a test drive, it'll be fine for 5 minutes, but will start pouring smoke again. with the hood open and idling, no signs of a leak. just puddles in the V. i put dye in it, but do not see any signs of the dye as i dont think i drove it long enough. if you leave it just idling, it will not burn the oil but it will still leak enough to drip down the back of the engine bay. i pulled the turbo yet again to see if it was leaking from the o ring, but nothing is abnormally wet (top of pedistal where its machineed for the orings was wet, thats it). i was thinking it was the oil plugs in the back of the head, but can not get to them with a mirror/hand to see if they're soaking wet. any ideas? the oil lines are not leaking, the plugs in the head that are easily visible are not leaking. i'm runnin out of ideas, and would definately like some help. thanks

I'm not picking on you.... but we can open some eyes....

I've never opened the hood on a Navistar school bus.... I have absolutley no idea which head plugs can be seen or not seen.... Like your RO story.... the person reading this needs to be able to look through your eyes... without ever being there.

The "box" plug you are indicating is likely one covered in some other threads... easily repairable but with small parts that can be unintentionally lost.... perhaps somebody with more patience than I can find the thread with pics....

You mention dye.... and no positive results... Cause for consternation, yes... but - is the oil relatively clean? Is there the chance that the oil is too dirty for the dye to flouresce?

When we are faced with our worst nightmares, it is usually better to take a step or two back.... what have we overlooked? ( I recently was extremely embarrassed by a fuse.... convoluted? maybe... but I assumed that the tech had checked the fuses... ASSUMED... shit happens and that is life... I missed it... I did not perform my job.... The bad feeling? I considered fuses... and said "NAH, can't be".

But, of course, a fuse will not cause an oil leak... But we still need to consider what is causing YOUR leak...

Clean the engine thoroughly... change the oil and filter.... install at least three dye packets in the motor... remove any convolute loom from the high pressure oil lines to prevent delayed indication...

This will only be as tough as you make it...

well i changed the oil, added new dye to it and even went out and had the shop buy the brigthest UV light i could find. still cant see where its comin from. keith, let me know when a good time to stop bye would be.

changed the oil, putnew dye in it and drove it around. there's no dye up on top of the engine, i pulled the downpipe and the bac of the head is not wet. bottom of the bellhousing is wet with dye and dripping. turbo's not wet, butterfly valve area is not wet. no dye is showing up on top fo the motor, and i took it for a good half hour test drive after keith looked at it this morning and was as puzzled as i was. i dont want to throw a 1500 turbo at it, and i'm gettin more confused as the day goes on. any ideas would be great. i removed the convoluted tubing from the hp lines, removed the oil plus and put new o rings on them, cleaned the engine and down pipes, and still got oil burning.