My First Horizontal Cooler R & R

Rate this topic

All right. Don't laugh guys. This vehicle has only 36,000 kms. on it. Already on its 3rd rad. Customer complains of coolant loss. Checked for coolant coming out of EBP tube, and I got a geyser. Any tips. I got everything apart except the turbo exhaust inlet pipe from the manifold. I can't seem to get the cooler to move rearward to clear the studs in order to enable removal. Do I need to drop the steering box? Any other tips?

I honestly have never done it that way. I don't like fighting everything in the way. I know some people in the shop that do it that way. I usually remove the radiator and fan clutch. then remove vertical cooler and then remove horizontal cooler by pulling it thru the front. But it only takes me about half an hour to remove radiator after doing thousands of them and then another half hour to remove the coolers.

I know one tech that use to remove the studs from the cooler and then pull it out.

I know one tech that use to remove the studs from the cooler and then pull it out.

remove the L/F wheel well pull the studs out of the front and unbolt and remove the dipstick and the coolant hose it will slide right out pull it out the bottom. I was scared the first time I did one but it was almost to easy.

remove the L/F wheel well pull the studs out of the front and unbolt and remove the dipstick and the coolant hose it will slide right out pull it out the bottom. I was scared the first time I did one but it was almost to easy.

Okay, here's what I've done so far:

-Removed wheel well.

-disconnected ABS HCU connector, three other main bulkhead connectors, EGR cooler clamps, steering coupler (even removed the three steering box bolts), dipstick nut & bolt (but the dipstick won't come out), both lower coolant tube bolts and all EGR cooler fasteners.

-removed the outer stud. Can't seem to remove the inner one due to severely limited access.

Finally managed to remove it, but can't seem to get it to clear the dipstick tube (the coolant port keeps getting hooked on it).

pull the upper fan shroud, pull the vertical cooler, pull horizontal cooler out front - no need for pulling radiator, pull the degas bottle out to - only takes a couple minutes and SOOO much room!!!!

... dipstick nut & bolt (but the dipstick won't come out) ...

... Finally managed to remove it, but can't seem to get it to clear the dipstick tube (the coolant port keeps getting hooked on it).

Don't forget the 8mm bolt holding the dipstick to the upper oil pan...

Don't forget the 8mm bolt holding the dipstick to the upper oil pan...

Already removed both bolts. Just can't seem to get the dipstick tube out of the upper oil pan.

pull the upper fan shroud, pull the vertical cooler, pull horizontal cooler out front - no need for pulling radiator, pull the degas bottle out to - only takes a couple minutes and SOOO much room!!!!

Same way here Posted Image