HP oil pump failure after re-sealing pump?

Rate this topic

We had a vehicle here that had a HP oil pump re-sealed and when it was re-assembled it would not start. This happened a few months ago, and I wasn't the tech working on it so it is a little fuzzy. We ended up replacing the pump and the truck left and is fine now. One of the managers asked me today if I have ever heard of this, because he is going to have a sit down with the dealer principal and the owner of the buisness that owns the truck later today.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Bruce? Jim? Keith?

He replaced the fitting o-rings. Then I guess it came back after a few days, and he removed the pump to replace the pump to front cover gasket. Now I do remember going over to look at the gasket because I was convinced he had the wrong gasket, but it was the correct one.

I'm not trying to get this guy in trouble or anything. Some guys here are telling me that this is really common and happens all the time, but I must have had about 50-60 of theese things off since 1997, and I have never ever had a problem.

Did he leave the ball out under the ferry plug? That will make a no-start. There are a couple of different front gaskets, too, IIRC. They're pictured in the Coffee Table book. Other than that, I've never had that problem. If you leave chunkies inside it can cause too high of an ICP, I know. I'm sure it could a no start if the particles are in the right place.

Posted Image

The old pump is long gone, and the tech claims he did not even remove the ferry plug.

Maybe he is lying to me. That would make perfect sense why the pump would not work after he removed it. Maybe that is what was leaking and not the pump to front cover gasket.