High Sulfur Trucks

Rate this topic

I know we tossed this topic around but I don't think we came up with much on this. I was using a manual the other day and noted references to "low sulfur" in places, even in the wiring diagrams. These were 2009 manuals. I just saw a google ad on the Diesel Mentor directory and checked it out. It's an export fleet dealer in Texas.

http://www.grandprairieford.com/fleet/commercial-truck-exports.htm

I've sold Powerstroke books on every continent except Antarctica, so that answers where some of these trucks are coming from. I still question why someone would want a truck in a country with little or no parts supply.

Posted Image

What exactly is modified to make it "high sulfur" usable? I second that comment on exporting, Bruce. A couple of years ago I modded up two 6.0L Super dutys heading to Sweden. I would love to know how they worked out and if they needed work and so on.

turbo up-pipes are different, ebp pipe is different, elbow where the CAC tube enters the intake is different, DPF/CAT is gone, entire EGR system is gone...plus some other stuff I think I'm forgetting.

Shitty day today.

• 3 weeks later...

You should have wrote "forddoctorsdts.com" under the hood with a Sharpie pen. Posted Image

I recall a topic from earlier this year there were pictures of that Air Force tow vehicle. The DPF was gone as were the EGR coolers.

Earlier this (oops, I mean last) year, our F+I department manager tried to put up one of the Power Stroke extended warranty posters in the commercial truck reception area. Before we tore it down, I did make notice of the fact the 6.4 picture on the poster had no EGR coolers and a different Y-pipe with no EDOC.

look how much cheaper these trucks are. You think the EGR add-ons makes that much difference in price? How do these trucks deal with fuel quality? I'm sure high sulfur isn't good for the fuel system?

Don't forget the lack of that expensive DPF. I thought sulfur provided lubricity and it's negative impact on these new trucks is that sulfur poisons the DPF rendering is useless.

When i was in louisville, they had a 6.7 with no egr and dpf going to mexico, said it ran like hell, so someone asked about high sulfur fuel and it works great on trucks with no dpf, if you run it in a truck with a dpf they try to regen pretty often

off highway fuel is still high sulfur. It is illegal to run on the road because it is not taxed the same but still high sulfur. Off highway fuel is 500ppm , and the ultra low sulfur is 15ppm.