Metal in fuel tank, P0087

Rate this topic

Has anyone seen this before. A friend from another dealer called me about this truch he's working on. The thing will intermilently lose fuel pressure on the low side causing the P0087. He put a frame mounted fuel pump on it 2000 miles ago. I'm thinking the metal either came from the old frame mounted pump or the high pressure pump. It dosen't make sense that it would take 2000 miles for it to act up agian if it was the old fuel pump. He didn't drop the tank last time.

• 2 weeks later...

Up until last week I had five fuel tanks on the ground, I'm down to one now. All five vehicles had P0088 stored, failed fuel system debris test. They all had metal in the fuel system and metal in the tank. What I have been doing is: 1. Request prior approval for HP fuel pump, 8 injectors. 2. Resent request again because they are asking for a test result that I already listed in the first request. 3. Hotline asks if the fuel looks ok, if it does I give them my findings. 4. Hotline wants my SA to contact the customer to receive authorization to remove the fuel tank. 5. We get authorization to remove the fuel tank, remove the sending unit. 6. Hotline sends out inspector 2 days later, they take a fuel sample with some glass container (last one used an empty Starbucks frappachino bottle). 7. Push vehiclce out and wait 7 to 10 business days for fuel sample results.

So far out of the four warranty RO's and the one CP RO, only one warranty RO was denied for having a high bacteria content in the fuel. The customer with the CP job was 5k miles out of warranty but didn't want to pay. We ended up getting them CLP money but Ford will only pay what they agreed to ($2,300) after the claim is processed through ACESII and approved (which takes a while) and the 30 day limit applies with no extension. Got another 05 F-550 in yesterday with WIF light on, P0088 present, first fit filters on at 25k miles. They "didn't know" about the severe duty maintance schedule.

Well two trucks were from the same company with an onsite tank, but they also have 20 plus 08&09 F-250 and up 6.4L's that don't have a problem. That one that they denied is turning into a major cluster. We think the inspector mixed up the fuel samples when he sent them in. The inspector is here every week for different things and was telling the advisor how he's sending out up to 7 fuel samples a day. The particular sample for the vehicle I have said there was high bacteria content in the fuel. The pictures that Hotline, our regional FSE, and one FSE from So Cal saw showed a secondary fuel filter housing full of debris and material. The filter housing on this truck is perfectly clean, no concerns. The inspector is the one who took all of the pictures. Our local FSE is comming in this upcomming week to see what's going on.

CBriggs, our customer base is as far east as San Francisco/East Bay, as far north as Redding, as far south as Fresno, as far east as Reno, Nv. Right now, on a Saturday, there are about 15 6.4L trucks and a equal number of 6.0L's on the lot waiting for service. There have been a lot of dealer closures in the area over the past few years and a majority of our fleet customers will pass other dealers to come here due to bad past experiences and bad business practices with said dealers. Every vehicle except for the two were from different parts of Northern California. Hotline's response was

"he most common cause of debris in the high pressure fuel system is poor quality fuel, fuel contamination, or low fuel pressure. Please inspect the fuel filters to ensure they are not restricted and have been maintained properly and verify base fuel pressure is 3-8psi. Inspect the fuel for water, gasoline or excessive bio-diesel. If a lack of maintenance or fuel system contamination concern is present the repairs will be customer pay."

All of the vehicles that have had complete fuel systems from a failed HP fuel pump had fresh fuel that passed testing, all maintance records on hand, done on time (even per engine hours), and low fuel pressure was 6 to 8 psi. I think it is just a bad design. Anyway, the whole process has PO'd a lot of customer's from the drivers to the company's CEO's, CFO's, and VP's. The cost to repair these is astronomical when out of warranty and it leaves the customer high and dry if they do not have Diesel Care ESP.