Fuel/High Pressure Turbo Coolant Pump Noisy

Rate this topic

Okay. Here's the situation. I have one here that I was told by my SM to replace the radiator on (despite the fact it wasn't leaking). Apparently, the owner has a fleet of 2008s that he will be looking into trading in for 2011s. The vehicle has 62,000 kms. on the clock. Despite the fact that he's over on kms. I was told to put it through warranty (and again, despite the fact that it didn't show any signs of leaking). After following that TSB while monitoring ECT/EOT, there was nothing to indicate any issue with the T-STAT. As I pointed this out to my SM, he says, "just put a rad in it".

Okay, fast forward a couple days after the repair, the vehicle comes back, with the owner complaining of a howling noise which I quickly pinpointed to the fuel/turbo VGT actuator coolant pump as the source. Of course, the owner is blaming this problem on me, and claims that "it wasn't like that before the repair". Just curious, but has anyone else ever run into this issue before after a rad replacement? After checking the base part number of the pump, I noticed that it is NOT covered under warranty for this particular truck.

All this because the SM wants to kiss this guy's ass (or suck his dick depending on how you want to see it), AT MY EXPENSE.

Did you open that system at all?

Like all other 6.4L rads I've replaced, NO. What would be the reason to?

Originally Posted By: Aaron
If you didn't, i'd tell your boss to go fist himself. But tahts the mood i've been in lately

Join the club. Apparently, this "new" customer came from a nearby dealer that just closed down, and it seems like our Fixed Operations Manager as well as my SM wants to bend over ass backwards to retain his business.

Everett Sinceyou.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Originally Posted By: Aaron

Everett Sinceyou fixed my brakes, my radio doesn't work...etc.

The painful wedding ring syndrome.

Saw one recently that had rubbed through the cooler for the secondary cooling system (mounted on the side of the CAC) and burned up the pump - this was a couple months after a rad was put in it....that's the only one I've seen that needed a pump.

You never did disclose why they wanted the radiator replaced to begin with. The only time I have ever had the fuel cooler pump make that noise is when it was air bound. Maybe that system has a leak and is dry or has air in it? Just a thought.

I checked the level. It was full. Nothing on that system was touched (except maybe the cooler itself moved out of the way).

I'd vacuum bleed the system before doing anything. Like Keith said, that secondary pump will squeal if it's dry.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I haven't had good luck using an air lift on this system. We have a cooling system flusher that has a fill function. I prefer to disconnect the coolant hose at the fuel cooler, cap the cooler fitting and run pressurized coolant directly from the fill hose of the flusher into the cooler hose. It effectively purges the air from that part of the system. I am willing to re-try my airlift though but it is rare I need to purge the cooler.

I just did one, local body shop didnt properly fill he system after a dear hit, and burned up the pump. I did like keith said but just poured coolant into the hose (disconnected from vgt cooler), then remove the cac and turn the (little) rad upside down. Worked great.

I've seen a few of these pumps be noisey.... it can be difficult to ensure that there is no air in the system because of the positioning of the secondary rad... I see a lot of guys try to circumvent the procedure in the WSM...

Well, I didn't realize how simple it was to replace this pump. After replacement, I grounded pin #72 at the PCM to verify pump operation. Let it warm up outside, and life is good so far. I'm still curious as to why this part failed. I didn't have to refill the system much more than a very slight top-up. Given the fact that NOTHING was disturbed during rad replacement, it still leaves me wondering.