Leaking injectors...

Rate this topic

So, we meet again, my old friend. Yesterday I was greeted with my favorite boomerang truck, again with severe damage at cylinders 2 and 8. Oil level is 6 inches over, CAC is full, and a high pressure test with the valve covers off and dye in the fuel shows that #1 injector body is the culprit this time.

Last time, it was #4 that caused similar damage.

That was 5,000 miles ago.

WTF?

Holy fuck...

I hope you used velcro on the cab this last time.

Hotline got any insight as to why THIS TRUCK is the hungry-hungry-hippo when it comes to engine assemblies?

This truck and I go way back.... I've already had to put in a short block from EGR cooler failure, and then a #8 rod and piston from another EGR cooler failure. Then #2 and #8 pistons and left side head from the first injector failure, and probably the same song and dance this time 'round.

I can use an impact on the body bolts, now...

I need to start making tally marks in permanent marker under the body..

Here's the quote from the hotline:

Quote:
Hotline Assistance Request

VIN: 1FDAF56R88EA21436

Vehicle: 2008 F-SERIES

RO Number: 58062

Contact ID: 103710403

Request Date: 04-16-2010

Technician: GREG HOLEKAMP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Request Form Details:

Description of vehicle concern:

Engine misses and runs rough, CEL is illumianted

Diagnostics performed:

EEC test - P0266, P0284, P0297. Oil level is at least 6 inches overfull. Relative compression test shows 12% drop on cylinders 2 and 8, and power balance shows 40% drop on 2 and 8. Remove valve covers, add oil dye to fuel, and run high pressure fuel test - Dye present on #1 injector body nut.

DTC Codes:

P0266, P0284, P0297

Parts replaced:

None

Question: Is fuel quality good?

Answer: yes

Question: Are fuel filters good?

Answer: no

Question: What is the fuel pressure?

Answer: 5 psi

Tech's question:

This vehicle has required several major engine repairs so far. Last time around, 5,000 miles ago, #2 and #8 showed major damage from an overfull engine oil level. That time it was caused by the #4 injector body leaking. Now #1s injector body is leaking and caused the same damage. Why are these injectors failing in this manner, and what can I do to fix the condition?

Hotline response:

Greg,

The fuel injectors can leak at this location as there is an O-ring seal that can fail causing the failure that you have noted. Since this vehicle is not within the build date for the injector recall, we recommend that you replace the leaking fuel injector along with repairing the vehicle as needed. Please be sure to clean out the CAC per Section 303-12 of the WSM to prevent further damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so yeah.. no help at all..

"Fix it like you did the last time and recheck for normal operation"

Shakin' my head.

I remember your posts on this heap the last time you worked on it..

During the HP fuel pressure test the pressure doesn't go out of spec (too high) or under (too low -- beating the injector to pieces?)

I'm just trying to come up with something for ya.

Even though its not in the build date -- is the VIN on the FSA list?

There are no open recalls on the OASIS report. Would it show there if the VIN was on the FSA list?

Got the head off. Just as before, two burned exhaust valves and two Picasso pistons. Metal transferred to the number 8 injector tip, so i got prior approval for two injectors instead of just one.

The fuel filters were first fit, but it still has good low side pressure. It will have new filters when I put it back together.

The high pressure test didn't go out of spec, and I must have run it two dozen times before I finally found the dye leaking.

This unit only knows WOT and off... It is constantly grossly overloaded and is driven by an employee that hasn't yet gotten that first car insurance discount you get when you turn 25...

If I could feel sorry for a truck, it would be this one.