Fuel tanks

Rate this topic

I have a couple customers that are concerned with the fuel capacity on their super duties.

Of course, an in-bed tank is an option, yes, but something I'd like to avoid as a suggestion.

I also located a company called Titan fuel tanks that builds a replacement tank that goes RIGHT in where the stock tank goes, adds about 20 gallons.

I was wondering, could a fellow put a 40-gallon aft-axle tank in a pickup truck, and lose the spare tire/mount or relocate it?

Obviously you could put the switchover valve and all that crap in the truck and run all the lines as well, with a switch to indicate tank capacity, which in my opinion I think would be pretty neat. Using all the factory parts.

Could it be done, do you guys think? Even if you didn't wire up a switch for the gauge and valve and all that crap and just put a switched fuel pump on the frame to feed the main tank?

Any other suggestions, guys?

Jockey tanks.... bed mount tanks... tidy tanks... call them what you want - in our area we see these as a ready and handy supply of water. Could be snow packed around the vent caps - but that doesn't account for the few months we don't have snow. Could be that the owner is "stealing" his fuel from dubious places... A rig will have several tanks... the incinerator tank isn't looked after near as much as the motor shack tank... I see guys getting fuel from the junk box (incinerator) too often.

Some guys get fuel from "on site" storage.... this would be a remote location where a grader or two or some other roadbuilding or forestry equipment is parked. Condensation can be a problem... but, once again, I am straying.

I have yet to see anyone be vigilant enough about in bed fuel storage...

YMMV

We service an 08 F350 flatbed(or is it a 450)with the 6.4 that has factory dual tanks. Until I saw this truck, I didn't know this was an option on these trucks from the factory. Maybe it's only available on a chassis cab. It has the factory switch and all the lines and frame-mounted splitter, just like used to be available as an option on all Super Duties when the 7.3 was the engine choice. Likely the cost of buying the separate parts would be excessive, but a wrecker might have a complete unit equipped with this very useful option.

Not saying right or wrong, but are vehicles not crash tested to verify fuel system integtity during a crash? What does modifying a fuel system do to the vehicle's ability to pass a safety inspection? I guess it depends who does it. I have seen Super Duty wreckers with the big midship tanks installed, and the problems it caused were immense, one being the pickup not reaching the bottom of the tank, as well as the sender float not hitting bottom at empty. Oh yeah, the tank would slide around in its straps while rubbing the crushed fill pipes on the frame. And putting a fuel tank behind the axle as an accessory reminds me of an old car called the Pinto. I guess as long as people need the extra range other people will be putting in the slip tanks, long range tanks, or whatever. I just look at the installation and wonder how they get away with ruining someone elses truck. I know I wouldn't.

That's why I wanted to put the factory style aft-axle tank in, if possible. The trailer hitch and bumper chassis I would think should provide adequate protection in the event of a crash, along with the extra frame rail space at the rear. The cab/chassis configuration is available with this style of tank in it, and it doesn't even have a rear bumper.

I don't particularly like the in-bed tanks just for the reason of a rollover/accident, as well as the larger aftermarket replacement tanks. I recall one of the directions in one of the tank manufacturers installation kits was to remove the fuel tank stopper bracket installed during the course of a recall!