C12 cat in a Ford dump truck

Rate this topic

Aaron

Truck vin: 1FDZS96M7WVA07454

Engine serial: 1YN07264

Temp gauge on dash inop. Can someone get me some wiring diagrams or pinpoint tests, as well as some component locations? Would be greatly appreciated. Anyone know of any lnown concerns on these?

Thanks a bunch!

I don't know WHERE the sensor is, there's about 15 temp sensors in the cooling system.

They aren't complaining of anything else, at this point. I was thinking along the lines of a gauge, as well... but I like to have wiring diagrams/shop manuals handy or at least the pertinent sections while screwing around with stuff... I'd hate to fry an ECM or something.

Should be 2-3 sensors in the t-stat housing. Start at the fan clutch and back trace the air line to the control valve/solenoid, follow the wires there back to the sensor/switch in the t-stat housing. The wire from that sensor should go back to the ecm. The other 2 sensors should be a alarmstat and the other the coolant temp sensor. These should both go back to the ecm as well. You need to isolate which is which. The fan clutch is easy you can jump the sensor and should here a click from the solenoid control valve. The other ones shouldn't be to difficult. If it has a alarmstat on it you can jump that and should set off the temp. alarm inside the cab. That would leave the temp sensor for the gauge. Take a closer look it shouldn't be to bad.

Not sure who "they" are.... I like to have adequate documentation on hand if "they #1" expect a repair and "they #2" expect a profit.

Precisely, Jim.

And thanks Larry! I'll go have a peek at it tomorrow.

It's a two-truck outfit I do preventative maintenance service stuff for. I noticed on my PM that the temp gauge was inop. Funny, I can punch the VIN into OASIS, and it brings up the "VIN UNRECOGNIZED" message, but tells me there's an open FSA on the truck for an air brake line re-route.

Do we have access to heavy-truck manuals through InFord, somewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

I've info at work (Cat SIS and ET, plus various hardcopies), but I'd venture to say in that truck there's likely a two-wire Deutch-style gray rectangular connector in or near the T-stat housing for Cat's coolant temp sensor, but the Ford dash is likely reading off of a separate sensor near the Cat unit. If I'm right, it's a two-pin thermistor with a connector that should look familiar to you in Ford-land.

This isn't an F-series is it? It's an L isn't it, the precursor to the Sterling atrocities!

Hey guys sorry for the delay in reply. It's an L series, yeah.

The retainer that holds the engine harness up on the back of the cylinder head at the very back broke, and the harness fell down onto the exhaust manifold. I couldn't see it because I wasn't able to climb my crippled ass up into the engine compartment to see back there.

Even less fun to repair. LOL.

Aaron, those don't just break. Who was under the hood before you???? Chances are someone slipped and either grabbed the harness or stepped on it before you got to it..... By the way glad to hear your still up and going Posted Image