91 superduty 7.3 idi no start

Rate this topic

rgreek

i replaced the injector pump and had to remove the gear assy to remove bolts. but, i did the im in a hurry thing and forgot to set the engine to tdc. checked for the dyed teeth and couldnt find them so i pulled the glow plug and set to approx compression on #1 installed gear and pump. but now all it does is crank and smoke. wont start. bleed out as much air as i could and still wont start. any advice? thanks.

The cam to injection pump gears are also timed with a "Y" mark. Gonna be tough to see since you've had it apart and are not 100% sure if it's back in time. I would get the gear cover back off and look down in there to see if you can see the "Y" mark on the cam. Haven't done one in so long that it's tough to remember.

That is correct Brad. The camshaft and injection pump gears are both marked with a "Y" which will time the pump gear when aligned. I know I have seen the dyed teeth but I also know that on many engines I had the pump out you sure couldn't see it. I always used the timing marks.