Cracked intercooler causing oil leak

Rate this topic

exmod110

I have an 08 Freightliner C2 bus with a mercedes benz engine in it.

it just had an inframe done under warranty for oil consumption and dpf plugging. As soon as it was back in the shop it had an oil leak in the left side top end of the engine with an egr exhaust leak too.

the hot side cac hoses were covered in oil on the bottom cold side is dry.

The dealership is telling my boss that the intercooler is cracked causing all the oil leaks and egr leak and is not covered under warranty!!!!

this was in their shop 8k ago for the inframe.....

Now I'm no genius but i think we are being fed a load of shit!

Can some one tell me how a cracked intercooler will cause an oil or egr leak? I know if the intercooler is cracked there could be oil present at that crack, but not where these leaks are present! I'd like to know how a cracked intercooler was missed during the diag for oil consumption b4 they did the inframe??????

And it did not have any leaks b4 the inframe!

I posted the pic's of the leaks in the photo post... not sure how to get into the thread itself...

An EGR leak should be considered a boost leak, like the allegedly cracked intercooler. Either leak can cause a turbocharger to overspeed, as the turbo has less "resistance" to work against. An overspeed situation can cause the turbo seals to fail and leak, which can be overlooked and misdiagnosed as a base engine failure. I can't point fingers, but I have witnessed such scenarios play out at the dealer level, resulting in unnecessary engine work and dissatisfied customers. Pull off the air inlet and outlet from the turbo compressor, and inspect for excessive shaft radial free play. Sometimes the bearings are fine, but the seals have failed. Either way, oil is fed into the charge-air piping at 30-60psi. If you had a base engine problem resulting in oil consumption, there should have been high crankcase pressure and excessively black oil. Just my thoughts.

I am expecting this unit back in my shop over the holidays, I understand the over speed scenario resulting from a leak..

I did not even look at this other then to point out that there was a prob right after it came out from the inframe. I did not want to disturb anything that they did. I will look at it after its 4hr drive back to my shop and see if anything is leaking again... I like to think that the dealer did their job and inspect things like turbo oil seal leaks and cracked intercooler b4 they did the inframe... but we all know how warranty works... do as we say or don't get paid!!!!

hmmm, you're in Dauphin, I'd bet the offending party would be the DDC/MBE/Allison dealer in Winnipeg, right?? Been there, done that, worked for them. Wanna know what I think of them? Huh? Huh?

I shouldn't jump to conclusions, I know. But it all has a very familiar stink to it.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update,

it never even got back to my shop b4 the oil leak showed on the floor! I am now told they are looking at replacing the engine if they can get approval!!!!!

Since it came back it now smokes blue on initial start up and has a distinct oil burning smell when the intake warmer is on b4 initial start up.... I still do not know exactly what all that has been done to diag this concern at the dealer.. But i am game for a new engine then they can replace the turbo for leaking seals right after that!!!!