Early build with a HP oil leak

Rate this topic

I'm working on a 2004 F350 with an early build engine. The engine won't build HP oil pressure and with an air hose on the test port on the back of the pump cover I can hear a very large air leak. I don't hear a change in the noise with the IPR energized and I already put an IPR in the truck. I also removed both valve covers and removed the oil lines and plugged the fittings with the proper service tools.

So the only things I’m air testing is the pump, branch tube and the manifold that's mounted on top of the pump.

Now on other vehicles I have seen leaking O-rings on top of the oil manifold (on top of the pump) where it goes into the pump cover, but that was a much smaller leak.

Has anyone ever seen a large leak from the pump area on an early build? Also, can the branch tube be replaced without removing the heads? I can't find a service procedure on it. I've replaced branch tubes on late build engines, but I didn't know if there was something different with the early build branch tubes.

I've replaced quite a few early build pumps and not any late build pumps. I've had the front (behind the gear) blow out of them. I've also had the rear cup pop out also.

(Cross my fingers) I've never replaced any branch tubes.

That's good to know. Were you able to retrieve the broken parts from the pump?

This truck is a side job, and it's turned into a little bit more than what I care to do on my own time. I really hope it's not a branch tube.

I've never done a branch tube on the old style, but done several newer ones, I believe they are the same on both though... Can be done without removing heads, USE A LOCKING 1/4" drive extension with your socket when removing the bolts from either side, you have to remove ALL the pushrods that are behind the branch tube or it won't come out (ask me how I know). You'll need a helper when putting the new one in.

I've seen a few blown out orings between the pump and the manifold that bolts on top of it. They were very large leaks. One truck actually blew that same oring twice within 100 km. I determined the pump was heating up and melted the ring. Once I unbolted pump it was very hard to turn, must have been seizing up.

I too have seen the section behind the gear blown out and leaking on the early builds. Never had a branch tube issue on either and early of late build engine. I made up a fitting to pressure test the early build systems with the pump cover off. If I remember I'll snap a pic of it on Monday.

The pump was leaking past the seal behind the gear. I took the gear out to get a good look and found brass shavings between the seal and the shaft, with a little bit of brass shavings just under the pump on the engine block. I found the smoking gun. Posted Image

Before I took the pump out I hooked up the smoke machine to the manifold outlet to confirm the leak. I tested the branch tube and manifold with a vacuum pump to make sure it wasn't leaking. Posted Image

Now I just have to find a night this week to put this thing back together and bring it back to life.

Posted Image