IPR % Too Low?

Rate this topic

Lemme tickle your brains a little... A 2000 7.3L with idle problems, I think the tech hasn't realized there are possibly two problems with the truck as it has an intermittent miss and it smokes, accelerates strong though. I was looking at the PIDS he had up and noticed that at idle the ICP was around 500 but the IPR % was down around 4.5 to 5. I assume the regulator may be stuck but I would like to know what the "normal" IPR values should be at hot idle. I can't seem to find a spec on this, no code for ICP. Disconnecting the ICP sensor does not smooth the idle out or even affect it.

7.3 IPR should be 9-11% at a hot idle, and 12-16% at a cold idle. A low number like that may be a stuck IPR, but I've seen it to more often be crap in the edge filter inside the pump blocking the exit passageway to the front cover. Anybody have this thing apart lately and do a sloppy job? It's blowing a P1209-10-11, right?

Well, I am used to seeing 8-12% at hot idle but I was wondering if there were actual spec limits that would indicate a problem. I actually think the IPR is stuck but the tech is chasing a base engine problem with it for now, so IPR is currently not important until that is fixed