Self Inflicted Aggravation

Rate this topic

I was finishing up an oil cooler replacement yesterday and the damn engine wouldn't start. Cranked really well, but wouldn't fire. Had codes for both the VCV and PCV control circuits. Thought oh shit to myself... what did I unplug or damage by mistake while in there?

Being hotter than hell and humid my patience level was severely tested. I tested the circuits through the solenoids - 3 ohms. Load tested the harness and blinded myself the headlamp was so bright. SOMEBODY teased me that the pump went bad. NOT!!! Posted Image

So I slept on it and this morning it dawned on me that I never looked at the PCM. You can see the picture of the bent pins HERE at the bottom of the page.

I am being tested for some reason. The diesel gods must have something planned for me. Posted Image

I bolted a left hand valve cover down today with the takeout for the glowplug harness neatly tucked under it. I spent 20 minutes looking for this damn connector. the way the harness is clipped in the front you couldn't see the wire running under it

Dont feel so bad keith I have done they very same thing! I am always very careful when plugging in that crappy PCM connector cause well they suck. Someone I managed to bend a pin but not near as bad as your pic. Mine actually ran until it got hot and decided to quit until it cooled off. That was a stumper.

I was actually able to repair the PCM. A gentle pry on pin #24 then to straighten it I used a small pair of flat blade pliers. Pin #48 I simply grabbed with the pliers and pulled it back up. A little contact cleaner and all was good.

I got one, I recently became diesel certified, just now doing my first major engine repair. low on coolant blew cooler bent #8 rod trashed block etc, etc, etc,. so doing an enhanced short block. after getting engine together and installing engine I start to tighten my torque converter nuts and the studs are not all the way through flex plate holes, WTF. after jacking around I removed engine for inspection, and it appears that my short block is for a manual trans. I look at my crate and its a automatic part number. So it appears its boxed wrong, and whats even worse I'm at trans guy. so I have no idea whats going to happen now. I could just scream. I been burned by wrong box parts before but this is crazy. I checked the number on the box before I started and that's as far as I looked it over. Never caught it when i bolted flex plate on. Man this sucks

I feel like a dumbass, I forgot to remove the plate off the old engine,

Automatic and manual transmission spec 6.0L and 6.4L engines use completely different bellhousing bolt patterns, therefore mandating completely different rear engine covers.