metal in the fuel

Rate this topic

I have my first 6.4 with metal in the fuel and I need some advice on the situation. With the way the whole warranty process has been going lately I'm deathly scared of making a mistake. From what I've read there have been quite a few denied claims and I don't want to be one of them

I've looked at the water in fuel job aid and to be honest I'm not seeing any signs of rust or corrosion anywhere. Pulled the ITP cover and not one spec of rust though the pump is obviously failed and full of metal. It appears to me that this is a warrantable repair. I suspect the low pressure pump failure is what lead to the hpfp failure. When the truck came it had no low fuel pressure and the low pump was open internally.

So I go through prior approval for a fuel system and it's okay'd no fuss at all. From what I've read isn't it pretty standard for an FSE to come out and take a fuel sample? Prior approval shows no interest in obtaining a fuel sample

I guess I'll have to call hotline tomorrow. What's the standard procedure with you guys when you find metal in the fuel?

Two quick things to do BEFORE you pull the cab or otherwise access the pump and injectors is take a fuel sample at the HFCM, remove the banjo bolts at the fuel cooler fuel lines and look for water/rust. Otherwise follow the job aid as suggested. No rust, no problem.

No rust Keith, no corrosion in the secondary housing, nothing in the fuel lines. The high pump is out and I'm not seeing anything obvious under the side cover. Just naturally cautious I guess. I read myself into worrying about shit that shouldn't even concern me

Ahhh but it does concern you. If YOU don't look for these things who will? That's right! Ford will and rest assured that they will most likely find something if it exists. It's only fair. If something were found and you miss it, a claim is likely to be bounced and when it comes to these expensive, complex engines it's going to hurt. Hurt your dealership, hurt you. It's part of the giant pile of shit you are responsible for (knowing, documenting, doing) that you don't specifically get paid to do... but it is, your job.

obviously it does concern me or I wouldn't have made a post Posted Image

What I meant was I shouldn't be worried about bouncing a claim if there is legitimately no reason to believe water was in this system

That is how you should approach it. If you don't find anything that is not warrantyable you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would however include in your write up on the repair order that you made these inspections and what you found or didn't find.

I've got an '08 F450 sitting in my stall right now, it's been there for a week, waiting for the customers fleet company to approve a $9,000 repair bill, came in on the hook - crank no start - P0088, P2269, P2289, P2291. Fuel sample from the HFCM was 50% water/rust, sucked the fuel from the secondary housing into a bottle - about 20% water/rust. Bottom of secondary housing is covered with rust/corrosion. And the Fleet warranty company wants to know 'why won't ford pay for this repair?'....

I would however include in your write up on the repair order that you made these inspections and what you found or didn't find.

Oh absolutely I will. I always make sure my warranty right-ups are extremely well documented.

Thank for your advice

I've got an '08 F450 sitting in my stall right now, it's been there for a week, waiting for the customers fleet company to approve a $9,000 repair bill, came in on the hook - crank no start - P0088, P2269, P2289, P2291. Fuel sample from the HFCM was 50% water/rust, sucked the fuel from the secondary housing into a bottle - about 20% water/rust. Bottom of secondary housing is covered with rust/corrosion. And the Fleet warranty company wants to know 'why won't ford pay for this repair?'....

The 6.4 is the devil. I understand why Ford doesn't want to pay for water contamination but it just sucks for the customer because it isn't their fault either. Diesel attracts water. I believe that the water separator on this truck isn't sufficient enough. We have had insurance companies tell us that they do not pay claims on Ford 6.4 liter diesel engines so that basically leaves the customer stuck with a $10,000 bill on a $70,000 truck that they still owe $50,000 on.

The next reprogram that comes out will have a message display that reads THIS ENGINE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN 10 MINUTES pull over safely.

I will be repairning the one in my stall starting tomorrow morning, it was approved late this afternoon by the fleet warranty company! THAT JUST MADE MY PAYCHECK!! It's been a little slow the last week or so.

so me any water seperator that will hold a gallon of water. aint one out there. when you pull a tank and see it rusted from top to bottom. Ford did not put water in the tank (with the exception of a few trucks, yes it happened) The customer has options if they are advised correctly. They can submit the claim to there insurance co as comp damage from bad fuel. this does not go aginst there driving record either. They can file claims against there fuel outlet assuming they sorce there fuel from the same place all the time or can show invoices for fuel if they can prove were the fuel came from. Using fuel from the oil feild equipment is also a really bad idea.

my .02 anyway.

• 3 months later...

Originally Posted By: joshbuys

The 6.4 is the devil. I understand why Ford doesn't want to pay for water contamination but it just sucks for the customer because it isn't their fault either. Diesel attracts water. I believe that the water separator on this truck isn't sufficient enough. We have had insurance companies tell us that they do not pay claims on Ford 6.4 liter diesel engines so that basically leaves the customer stuck with a $10,000 bill on a $70,000 truck that they still owe $50,000 on.

The next reprogram that comes out will have a message display that reads THIS ENGINE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN 10 MINUTES pull over safely.

Digging this up from the grave. I am on the other side of the table now and its quite odd. One of our trucks in the fleet has this very same problem and of course the dealer its at is saying its a cp job. I understand the system but it really blows to have done all the maintenance (docs to prove it) including draining the water separator occasionally and have this happen. Even with that I probably have no footing with ford on this issue and I will be driving to NM to inspect the vehicle for myself. If I can not get it covered under warranty I am pulling the truck back to AZ and doing the repair myself.