oil leak at orange turbo drain tube

Rate this topic

I have a 08 f-250 that had some engine work done, looks like head studs and all the deletes! ie egr and dpf done recently. I come back from holidays and Its waiting for me. It has and oil leak at the orange drain tube under the low pressure turbo. I can actually see part of the tube torn and sticking out the side. My question is do I have to pull the cab, or will I be able to remove the low pressure turbo in the vehicle and perform the repair will the high pressure turbo still in the vehicle. many thanks in advance

Depends on who you ask. I base my decision on this job by the way the exhaust bolts look. I typically do 6.4 turbos with the cab on. Worst case scenario I pull the transmission to access the inlet pipes a bit better. I don't pull cabs unless I really, really, really have to... and I'm sure I'm the only one.

On edit: I'd also make sure the customer is paying for this one!

DUDE, you gotta change that frickin' avitar, that things really creepin' me out. Everytime I see it I think Keith let that goof ball join up Posted Image

I avoid pulling 6.4 cabs at all costs, so your not alone on that.

I do them cab on without removing the turbos. Done 3 now all have been fine. I was actually hesitant to post this due to the risk of sounding like a hack

I take everything off but the uppipe bolts and the hot side cac. Take the downpipe loose, crossover tube, oil fill/ccv, turbo feed lines and the pedestal bolts all out. Either attach an engine crane or get a long prybar and pry that low pressure turbo up as high as it'll go. Obviously don't pry on the fuel line that lays on the intake. Once you get the high turbo up off of the dowels you'll have a lot of wiggle room

If you can get the old one out the new one will go in. To do that I have a 1" paint scraper with a 45 degree bend in it. I get the tube started up in the turbo far enough to slide that scraper directly under it. Then I set the weight of the turbos down and it forces the tube up into the low turbo. Pry the turbo up slightly again, remove the scraper and gently set it down

Actually the guy I work with does turbos cab on with torch in hand. I've never had the opportunity to try it though

Edit- the first drain tube I did was my own damn fault, the other 2 were someone elses mistake. You'll only do it once.

Quote:
I was actually hesitant to post this due to the risk of sounding like a hack

YOU'RE A HACK!

Just kiddin', don't ever be afraid to post somethin on here. Some will agree and some wont but if you don't share then nothin' happens.

Thanks for the replies...I found out the head gaskets were done a couple weeks ago...so I am thinking things will come apart ok....I am greatful for the tips. every bit helps