mystery coolant loss

Rate this topic

And if all of the above noted stuff checks out put a pressure gauge on the cooling system and drive the shit out of it to see if you have high cooling system pressure. I had one 6.4 that had leaking head gaskets and damaged cylinder heads.

• 3 months later...

Unlike the 6.0 that regularily blows head gaskets, the 6.4 seems to be less prone to this type of failure. I have personally only done one set. I find most of them have a set failure pattern. The first thing to leak is the rad. Pressure testing usually shows up the leaks easily if this is the case. Also causing external leaks are the rad hose internal o-rings. Look for white staining at all of these connections(Ford now has updated the hoses with 2 internal o-rings). Next to go is usually the horizontal cooler. I have done lots of these and never a vertical one. Usually next is the front cover, with cavitation issues. The one head gasket job I did started with the horizontal cooler, it still lost coolant, then while I had the cab off to do the head gaskets, I checked the front cover and thermostats and they were OK.