m11 coolant level sensor

Rate this topic

exmod110

I have a 97 sterling with an M11 that is shutting down with a blink code for coolant level. It is full of coolant, and the sensor was just replaced because it was cracked. It still shuts down with the same coolant level code coming up. It is a 3 pin style sensor. I know it can be programed out of shutdown mode but I have no access to any Cummings diag equipment. This is a truck used only during harvest ant planting and needs to run asap. Does any one have access to some wiring diagrams or pin outs at the pcm they can share or have any common failure points to look at?

Needs to go quick? Unplug the sensor and tie it to the side.. Just have to make sure the driver pays attention to temp gauge and check coolant daily just in case. Unplugging the sensor will bypass the shutdown and allow for it to run, have had to do that on several trucks at times because of failed sensors, the 4 pin sensors must have a shorting plug to bypass them. What is the code that comes up? My HD Truck book is at the shop, but can get it tomorrow and get you whatever information is available in it for your code.

tried unplugging it, still shut down. blink code 422.

If unplugging it should bypass the shutdown and it still shuts down makes me think there is a short in those 3 wires some where now...... Might have to overlay those wires and see what happens... a pin out diagram for the connector at the pcm would speed things up a lot.. but this is on hold till Monday now....

OK, after getting it into some shelter some light and out of the elements....

It is a 4 wire sensor.

I found the harness had been slightly sucked into the fan and only damaged one wire... One of the 4 that go to the coolant level sensor.. soldered in a new piece of wire and bingo... Easy fix and tied up out of harms way now!

Being a farm truck I was really expecting to be looking for mouse damage some where, as i have found in the past... I guess next time look for the more obvious things first!!! Thats what I get for looking at it in the dark, in a field, in the wet.... The old sensor was cracked at the tip in the coolant and that is what i looked at first. Live and learn...

Thanks for the for the help though dieseldoc and Budy!!