6.4 oil leak

Rate this topic

Welcome to DTS! I'm sure you'll find a lot of great help here without the censorship of FMC.

Isn't the dipstick tube near there? I think some of the guys were having a cracked bracket on the tube mislead them on oil leaks making them think it was the glowplug harness. Double check it.

For crankcase leaks, I take the shopvac outlet and use it to pressurize the crankcase (to about 1 psi) while the engine is running. This makes seepage leaks show up quickly in the bay.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Welcome to DTS! I'm sure you'll find a lot of great help here without the censorship of FMC.

Isn't the dipstick tube near there? I think some of the guys were having a cracked bracket on the tube mislead them on oil leaks making them think it was the glowplug harness. Double check it.

For crankcase leaks, I take the shopvac outlet and use it to pressurize the crankcase (to about 1 psi) while the engine is running. This makes seepage leaks show up quickly in the bay.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Yep I have had the dipstick crack at the mounting bracket causing and oil leak. That was fun tracking down! put some oil dye in it and run it.

Quote:
Have 10 F-450 6.4 55k miles and looks like its either leaking oil from the glow plug harness seal or the two piece head on the drivers side. So easy to tell when you an egr cooler in the way. Has anyone seen or dealt with this issue???

Welcome aboard! Is the oil leak at a particular portion of the engine such as number 2,4,6 or 8 cylinder location? Asking due to the idea that it maybe coming from a glow plug grommet.

• 3 weeks later...