HPFP failure

Rate this topic

Has anyone seen a HPFP explode.It blew one of the heads off sheared the bolts and sent it through the cover.It then blew a hole in the rear.Warranty was denied by Ford.They have claimed water caused this.No engineer came out or anything.This truck had what looked like clean fuel and good filters.Bummer for the customer.

What you need to do... if you have not already... is remove the pump and recover all of the major pieces. Go to the PTS website and open a vehicle session and click on the "Service Tips" tab and under Job Aides click on "Revised 6.4L Water in Fuel/Non-Warrantable Fuel System Repair." job aid. Inspect the pump as instructed. The results will guide you. You can be an advocate for your customer and for Ford by following the guidelines and be fair to both parties. If there is signs of water damage then the repair is not warrantable... and if no evidence is found then you and the customer have a reason to dispute Ford's decision. I tend to agree with Ford on this but it is not outside the realm of possibility that the pump failed for other reasons. Point is, we want to be sure before making such decisions, right?

What did the pump look like inside? any signs of water intrusion?

It almost seems the fall back excuse now days is water contamination. I know its a big issue and we have even had it happen to our fleet trucks. I would be hard pressed to believe the pump failed in that manner due to water contamination without seeing the inside of the pump and rest of the fuel system.

• Like 1

"Maybe" the HP pressure relief valve in the pump stuck? Then the weakest link in the chain would fail, like overtorqued bolts. Maybe the FRP biased low, and the PCV command maxed out. At that point I might have hung an FRP on it for good luck too?

Posted Image

:grin:

Good thinking. However wouldn't we expect complaints of driveability concerns, a check engine light or a DTC or two if there were any of these concerns? Not disputing, just adding thoughts... remember we need to find evidence or proof. But I would think that even pumps from time to time can just fail on thier own.

"Usually" there should be a DTC but I can document many times where the PCM sees something completely haywire, totally out of normal range and does not set a DTC. The PCM is programmed to wait a specific period of time before it sets a DTC, (commonly a fraction of a second on an important signal, up to several seconds on a temp sender or other low htz signal) which might be longer than it took to blow those bolts. (sidebar- when you do the wiggle test it eliminates the "wait" time to set a DTC)

I'm of the opinion that those bolts did not break on their own, they were murdered. Aren't they 8mm? It takes a hell of a lot of PSI to blow 4 of those at the same time, right? It's not like the little fucking screws on 6.0 injector heads that blow when the FP goes low.

Posted Image

I'm of the opinion that those bolts did not break on their own, they were murdered.

Posted Image

Did you remove your sunglasses Horatio Caine style when you typed that? Posted Image