egr coolers diag.

Rate this topic

hey guys, I have a2010 f350 cust says it is using coolant and once in a while he sees a puf of white smoke from tailpipe. unit has 2 dtcs. p2080, and p20e2. was wondering if u had any quick ways to verify coolers like we use on 6.0s. thanks. Ps.. drove unit. no smoke. dpfeload pid shows part load.

Check for evidence of coolant in the EBP tube. The last cooler failure I had would fire coolant out of that tube like a water fountain! If it's using coolant, first make sure it has no external leaks... Rad hoses, rad, yada, yada, yada... Make sure the coolant isn't getting into the oil... Normally horizontal coolers are the ones that fail, as they take the brunt of the heat. I've never had a leaking vertical cooler.

Jake ! How's it going ? Have they contacted you about returning ? Apparently they are advertising for either a diesel or tranny guy. Brian is too busy with transmissions and doing my work since I have been off.

Usually you'll see dried up coolant around the horz. EGR cooler inlet and outlet. The only time I see a "blown" EGR cooler on the 6.4L like a 6.0L, there was a window in the cylinder block. If a 6.4L is loosing coolant and white smoke from the tail pipe, I'm removing both coolers for testing, coolant pump to inspect front cover, and thermostats for hyper-extension.

The easiest and fastest way to determine if an egr cooler is leaking on a 6.4L

Posted Image

Ditto on the "blown" egr cooler equaling a destroyed engine block. this is the last one that had a completely failed cooler.

Posted Image

OMG Brad! That is brutal! lets hope that isnt common. I did notice what looked like dried coolant on the one end of the horizontal cooler. I also used the combustion gas analizer and it did change colour. replacing it today. Hey Jeff, I was getting calls for about 3 months, everyother day. then I just stopped returning their calls. Guess who's truck this is ...Stephane Michaud. subletted up to me to fix because they don't have the time or the techs! HA, HA!

That's funny. They are trying to discourage alot of warranty repairs. Eric has been doing alot of the work, and they have had to eat some repairs due to technician not certified ! Tell Stephane I said hi. Stop over some time, I would love to talk, take care.