oil cooler

Rate this topic

I've got a 2008 f550. Had severe coolant leak from the lower hose and was driven untill it got hot. Had coolant crust on the erg temp 2. I put stats, updated rad hoses, horizontal cooler and degas bottle and cap. All of the leaks are fixed, and the ect runs around 212 under load. Now I have p012F and eot runs around 240 consistantly. Looks like it needs an oil cooler. My big question is do I need to pull the water pump and check out the front Cover? Do the coolers plug from pieces of the cover from cavitation. Truck has 100K miles.

I've got one right now doing the same thing, cooler was replaced a couple thousand miles ago by another dealership, I just put thermostats in it, seals were gone, still gets hot enough to go into derate and set a P012F. I'm thinking about just tearing it apart in the morning and looking at the front cover. For those of you that have done this before what is going to be cavitated in the cover?

I think I have had two of these... early on after the 11B23 calibration update along with several thermostats but thankfully things have bee quiet with these lately. I would guess that any cooling system problem could contribute to this and I do recall being advised to inspect the pump too. Not sure why if the coolant temps were in a normal and expected range. I still wonder if an aggressive chemical flush wouldn't clean up the cooler...

Well hotline says replace oil cooler, I think I'll go ahead and do that and pull the water pump to see if the cover is cavitated.