rear main seal??

Rate this topic

I have an early 2009 in my bay that has the newest design rear main seal. Can anyone tell me if all 6.4L engines came with this seal factory or where they updated mid-production?

The shifter boot(manual transmission in this puppy) is broken and it looks like someone has been into this thing to either remove the transmission or lift the cab. The customer claims we have done all servicing to this truck and is upset he has to pay for the new boot. Early on in this trucks life it was at Millenium Ford in WA for $6600 of outside labour, then went to auction, and was picked up by us and sold to the customer.

This one has me perplexed.

Not all 6.4s have a wear sleeve. I've changed seals in a few 08s that definitely did not have a wear sleeve. Not sure when they started coming with wear sleeves.

The boot being ripped is telltale cab off or trans removed. Changed a few of those too.

I have had seals out of 08's that had the old style seal, never had an 09 apart, but thats about when we started seeing the new seal as a service replacement I think. Would stand to reason the the factory would have been using them sometime before that.