Unbelievable....

Rate this topic

I'm working on a runs rough, smokes, 2000 7.3. no codes til i do contribution and get 1 & 3 not contributing. Do all the normal diag, and turns out might need an injector. For sh&Ts and giggles i swap the IDM out. Wut do u know it runs beautifully. This is the 2nd time pinpoint test said throw an injector in and it was the IDM in 2 weeks. man o man good thing we have a spare one to test with. LoL.

Tony, Discovered over time that an IDM or the harness connector falling off of the valve cover is far more likely than an injector failure. I have a test IDM which I always plug in before condemning anything else, especially on vans!

Quote:
Keith Browning I have a test IDM which I always plug in before condemning anything else, especially on vans!

DITTO.
I have one that I got from a wrecked 1999 F250 that was replaced one week prior to the trucks untimely demise.
By the time your at the IDM it's pretty much a sure bet it's bad but being able to be 100% is just so nice!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

We "used" to have one.... There's this guy in our shop (he used to live at my house for a while) that I would dearly love to be rid of.... But I don't know who he is....

Every time I ask who left on/shut off/bent/broke/lost/put away dirty/didn't put away/lent out/took home/gave away/misused this <ITEM>... everyone gives me a blank look and says the perpetrators name.... You all know him, too.... His name is "Not Me"....

Mr."Not Me" must have one hell of a commute from Long Island NY to Slave Lake because he works in my shop too!!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Theres a reason I have a tool box as big as I do because I truly hate having to "share" tools. I have my own Superstar,NGS,vcm/laptop and a myriad of other tools that many consider "shop tools" because Mr. Not Me breaks it and puts it back so it's not his problem to worry about getting it fixed/replaced therefore freeing up his time to gripe about how poorly the shop tools are maintained.

Tony, Discovered over time that an IDM or the harness connector falling off of the valve cover is far more likely than an injector failure. I have a test IDM which I always plug in before condemning anything else, especially on vans!

I wish I had a test IDM. When I do injectors, I always tell the writer that it may need an IDM too. I even had a couple where the connector fell off and after I put the wedge in to lock the connector, it is still missing... Bad IDM. I know it sounds like BS, but I think that a lot of times its a open circut either at the connector or inside the injector that damages the IDM.

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning

I wish I had a test IDM. When I do injectors, I always tell the writer that it may need an IDM too. I even had a couple where the connector fell off and after I put the wedge in to lock the connector, it is still missing... Bad IDM. I know it sounds like BS, but I think that a lot of times its a open circut either at the connector or inside the injector that damages the IDM.

Bingo. I went to work at a local indy shop a couple of months ago that serviced the counties ambulances. Fortuntately they were all F450 & 550's. First truck had a severe mis-fire and kicked two high-side open codes. I told the shop foreman we needed an IDM first and then would likely need several injectors as only two sounded normal on the buzz test.

Replaced IDM which cleared high-side codes but of course truck didn't run any better...foreskin was all bent...finally let me replace the worst sounding injector. He felt the BG oil flush they used would "fix" the rest. I don't know how it worked out as I only lasted two weeks there...just couldn't deal with the constant push to upsell and lack of time to correctly diag the root concern. Had too many LOF guys so the shop was jammed full of oil changes/flushes and I was doing diag OUTSIDE. Only rack, big 4-post, that would lift "my" work was always full as it was easy to use...

Point is that I believe that open injectors DO kill the IDM.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Damn straight open connectors cause Idm's to fail. See it quite often. I too have test IDM's. One for the older 97' and down's and one for the 99's and up.